Living with a Thai girl - The Zoo

Nervous_Dog

Going to the zoo is a favourite of mine, and Jing-Joe.

Now they have two added attractions, a African show, which was pretty good fun, and KANGAROOS!

So - while I'd planned on taking the family, Jimmie was crabby this morning, after staying up all night sucking on tit (I know the feeling) so I thought a Daughter and Daddy day was good for everyone.

jing-Joe and I went there about 11 and didn;t get home till about 3. a dam good 4 hours.

For the casual visitor, and I saw a number of them, the zoo is getting better, and not quite as sad as it used to be compered to Singapore zoo etc.

The Hippo' in particular have a glass wall, and very cute to see mum and baby boy swimming around up against the glass.

The monkeys have got new enclosures, as have the oragnutan.

The Lion is still next to the cheetah, and the spend the time staring and occassionally running at each other, kinda physcho but fun.

The black leopard was up on the very tp of the cage - 10 metres from the ground, staring over the wall at traffic. They have the wiring horizontal at the top, otherwise he'd be FREE!

however the best thing today was the normal show, not the "African Boys Show"

I've seen this show 10 times at least, and always been impressed by it, up there with other zoos as a funny show.

This time however it was, well . . Thai!

The show starts with some anmal thats a cross between a Cat and a bear, as big as a black bear, walking along a log, and then dangling upside down while the host feeds it.

Then the log snapped!

bear creature falls on it;s head, and being 3 feet away in the front row I am a tad worried, however it rights it sel, and looks up to host for more food.

however, this normally ens with said bear creature walking back along the the log, with it can;t do.

5 mnutes spent trying to hustle bear creature out the back. At one stage a bird walks out, I think the next act, only to be caught and vbrought back in!

The next act is the same bird, huge blue parrot, wlaking out, and up a ladder to a flying fox.

Half way up the ladder bird stops. Obviosuly thinking, "Hmm, safety is crap, what if the ladder breaks"

trainer comes out to urge bird up ladder, bird looks at trainer "Aren;t you the bloke who said that log was safe?"

After another 5 minutes bird finally climbs up and goes down the fling fox.

Next is a hornbill.

Hornbill normally flies around audience, this time, however, he flies around, BUT refuses to come came back to trainer!

Why? Well, the hornbill normally stops on the same log that is now atchsticks.

He decides to sit in a tree and watch what happens next.

Which makes the next act, two parrots racing eachother very nervous as they keep looking up at the hornbill in the tree thinking "Do hornbills eat parrots?"

I have no idea, but a dam fun day!

DOG

Guest lazyphil

I like bkk Zoo, great place to animal and people watch....away from the noise and traffic!

<<Half way up the ladder bird stops. Obviosuly thinking, "Hmm, safety is crap, what if the ladder breaks">>

this time last year we were at Salzburg zoo, i always thought germanic people were H&S fanatics, no so with the rhino pen, just a rickety old farm gate seperating us from him, 2 tons of him ::

What's also interesting given there are a LOT of tress how much cooler it is than the rest of the city. One reason I dont like bangkok that much is that they COULD make it so much nicer but greed stops them.

The zoo was about 2 - 4 derees cooler, thats enough to make walking quite pleasant.

DOG

Guest lazyphil

Also the crocodile place (name escapes me though) out of town is nice too, cooler, shade, trees...there are some great retreats here and there in/around bkk :up:.....I like the Monitor lizards that roam free in the lake at the Zoo!

Has improved a LOT. I haven;t been for about 6 months, even Dar, who also useually goes there once every 3/4 months (kids!) saw a diffrence with the photos.

The Giraffe is much nicer, monkey areas etc,

Still, compered to Singapore, they are still mostly cages, but not as bad as the Budapest Zoo which had a lion in a 2 x 4 metre cage!

DOG

Our feelings exactly, I was with a vet iroonically who almost burst into tears, she wandered from cage to cage diaognzoing different complaints, mostly phychotic behaviour. Hadn;t realized how much mental problems a animal can have until you see them in those conditions.

Mind you this was when the area was still soviet, so hopefully it's changed by now.

DG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Me too but unfortunately for some animals a zoo is the only place their species will survive.

I went to the Chiang Mai zoo back in November. That place is freaking huge. We actually got lost trying to find the exit.

The only problem with it is that there is so much wasted space that has absolutely nothing going on. They seem like they are in a major building mode though.

Only thing that sucked was the usual double standard for paying. One price for farang another for Thai to see the pandas. I didn't pay. If I want to see pandas I can go to the National Zoo in DC.

Archived