We are now targets

allatsea2000

just out driving preparing for my trip, and over the radio comes a emergency report, ASIO has just reported to the prime minister(australia) theat a terrorist threat was iminant.

He couldnt give us any more details, as he said it would detract from the experts doing there job, apparantly he briefed all the premiers .

Yes i know we have sort of been targets before(bali) but i think that was mostly a western thing as apposed to a country,

Now it is us, on home soil not overseas but here.

Apparantly special terrosim laws will be rushed through today which will hopefully help us quash this latest threat.

I know on another thread i am playfully counting down the number of sleeps(4) till i get to thailand but in reality, i wish i was on the plane now almost half way there.

"...Apparantly special terrosim laws will be rushed through today which will hopefully help us quash this latest threat..."

This is exactly how Bush shanghaid the Anerican people into believing we needed to invade Afganistan and Irag, and give up all sort of rights/liberties athome...BE AFRAID AND CAREFUL!!!

im hearing you, and no doubt people from around the world have there own opinions on Mr Bush, just the same as there are a core of people who believe we are only patsies, and respond to whatever and whenever america asks us.

One of the frightning laws which i am worried about, is if you speak out against the government u can be liable to a prison term under some of the proposed laws.

The other thing is this could be a smoke screen to yes indeed rush throught the laws in special circumstances, that way no more debate, no interference.

I hope I am wrong but in the not too distant future this could be a case of 'out of the fire and into the frying pan'. How long will it be before the troubles in the South spread to much more newsworthy locations?. Right now the Thai government whilst not having it under control do have it contained in the South. That may change.

Like I said, I hope I am wrong, but if Bali can be a target, maybe Pattaya, Kosan Road etc can be too. Alternatively they may go for government buildings or high profile targets.

Interesting in today's Bangkok Post, things seem to have changed for the worse. PULO, the overseas based 'spokespersons' for the South, now claim this is a 'religious war' if they do not get their self-rule; their words not mine. This is a far cry from the previous message that their struggle was against the Thai Government.

Let's see.

"...Apparantly special terrosim laws will be rushed through today which will hopefully help us quash this latest threat..."

This is exactly how Bush shanghaid the Anerican people into believing we needed to invade Afganistan and Irag, and give up all sort of rights/liberties athome...BE AFRAID AND CAREFUL!!!

Heard the opposition leader on the radio today, advising the press they were ready to approve the new legislation TODAY if the govt could get it ready in time. Not what the opposition usually does (down here they generally oppose everything, no matter what).

Even though I voted for the guy (current PM) IMO they need more than a day to think these things through, and debate any technicall issues with them.

OH - Your example is exactly what I was thinking of when I was listening to the radio on the way home this afternoon.

It's becoming evident now down under why we helped out the East Timorese a few years ago (not oil, but gas), I'm suspicious of any major changes to the law.

Archived