Ayuthaya- Worth a Visit?

Av8r

I agree with Samak.

Lopburi is a nice city but I would not spend more than a half day there... that's enough to visit all the temples and I was a little bit disappointed with the amount of monkeys actually in the streets.

Ayuthaya is very nice place and a full day there can be spent for visits but as Nervous_Dog said the evening is very/too quiet (for me), at least it was the last time I went there (last august); it could be different in February.

One final word about Sukkothai which was definitely my favorite place in term of temples and I had a GREAT time going all over the park to visit maybe 30 out of the 40ish temples that are in the same area.

We rented motorbikes during that day as it gives you a lot of freedom and you dont waste time going from one temple to another even though you can sometimes visit 4-5 temples without going back to your vehicule.

I have a lot of (what I would call) great pictures of Sukkothai fi you want to give a look just let me know :)

sukhothai sounds great, but I'm afraid one shouldn't start to compare authaya with lopburi 'cos frankly there's nothing in that small town apart from lots of aggressive monkeys everywhere in the vicinity of the old temple...

as for authaya being quiet at night? did you goto the marked? how about the 'clubs' just across the marked looking fairly naughty from a distance not sure they're gogos or just ktv or similar, but sleazy enough looking for sure ;)

• 1 month later...
Old Hippie said:

A few years back (3 to be exact) we rented a van and took 6 people for 1000bht, + tip. I assume more now, with the price of fuel up. But a good day away, we loaded it up with snacks and drinks, and had a great time. Another trip, I went by mini van, and took the boat back. The lunch was o.k. the dance show I could have lived without, but o.k. and the ride on the river was great. I would recomend this way , van up, (or however) and boat back.

Some quick questions:

The train leaves from where? Schedule (once/hr, once/day?)

The boat ride back: arranged where, how much, how long?

Rent a van: what's a good place to do this?

Rent a guide: good idea? Cost?

Sukothai: I went once years ago, but cannot remember distance/travel ar4rangements from Ayutheya. Any info?

I'm going to head over tyo Victory Monument now and check on minibuses.

TIA

My friend the laundry lady made the arrangements for the van and boat. I have no clue on the train. Vans might be arranged through your hotel, or by going to Soi 5 and talking to the guys in front of their vans there...? The baoat was prearranged through a travel agent the last time I went. I think it is possible to just show up, but not sure...you would need to know where you are going, and when to be there.

One point to add:

however you get there, you want to have your own driver/van to take you around the temples at your own pace. The place is HUGE.

I'd suggest you go up by van or private car; hire that driver for the day to take you around the Temples, and then go back by boat, then you can see the river, too.

Archived