Ayuthaya- Worth a Visit?

Av8r

Yes, definitely worth a visit! You can arrange a tour from about any hotel, or from some of the van drivers around Soi 5. Or take a mini van or Songtiew from the Victory monument area (rough way to go!).

The delux tours go by van, have a tour, and then take the boat back to BKK, Lunch and dance show along the way, it is a nice ride along the river. Also check out the old Summer palace while up there! But definitely go, it is well worth it!

A few years back (3 to be exact) we rented a van and took 6 people for 1000bht, + tip. I assume more now, with the price of fuel up. But a good day away, we loaded it up with snacks and drinks, and had a great time. Another trip, I went by mini van, and took the boat back. The lunch was o.k. the dance show I could have lived without, but o.k. and the ride on the river was great. I would recomend this way , van up, (or however) and boat back.

Hi,

"I'm not sure we'll have time to do both."

Why not? They are fairly close to each other. You could go to one city first, spend the day *and night* there, go to the other the next day and return to BKK from there.

Only passed through Lopburi myself once I think (the city that is), so can't comment on it. Ayutthaya is worth the trip though.

Sanuk!

i would definitely recommend Ayuthaya over Lopburi. i have been at both places several times. Ayuthaya has many more temples and sites and is of course historically much more important. in Lopburi you have just one site with ancient temples and hordes of aggressive monkeys.

now if you would ask me, whether i recommend Sukhothai over Ayuthaya then i would say yes; Sukhothai's beautiful large park with so many ancient temples is just phantastic!

if you are interested in historical sites in Thailand, go to Muang Boraan (Ancient City); it has miniaturized replicas of all famous sites in thailand.

Archived