"Welcome To Hell" - inside a Thai prison

Stickman

The unfortunate truth is that without "inside" assistance in terms of both an able and well connected lawyer,influential friends and buckets of cash one is almost assuredly "screwed"here in terms of hoping for a fair trial.

I have a friend here who has been fighting a court case for 4 years.Four years he has been fighting on the principle that he in fact did nothing wrong.(which from what I know is true) Yet his opponent is a POO YAI MAHK MAHK. If I mentinoned his name on this site those who live in Thialand would shudder.

The details in his case from first his FARANG lawyer who sold him out to the corrupt judges who take CASH over principle are disheartening and EXTREMELY THIRD WORLD.He has only gotten as far as he has because of a mutual friend of ours who is at the very top of the food chain.

He is lucky to be alive-its an amazing story.

Fellow board members...the principle here in LOS is as follows-IMHO-If you get in trouble GUILTY OR NOT -if possible pay off immediately!! BEFORE the station before other police arrive and then leave the country.Its the only way unless you have important friends and even then its ahuge financial drain and really kills the sanook. ::

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

re: Belgian (Leopold)

from my limited knowledge of world history he might be the worst ever

something like 10, 000, 000 murdered .. in the 20th century ..

just to keep up with his neighbors

some sorry MFers out there.

I had a wounded Gulf II reservest ( cut loose & left to dry upon return ) working at my house one day last year & I was dissing impearlist .. when I compared Duhbya the likes of Leopold he got POed & left!

I agree very much with your analysis of events in the book. Thailand is not a place to always show your courage and is, dare I say it, a place where it really is best to run as fast as you can if you see trouble coming your way. You just do not want to get into trouble in the first place, because after that ? if this book is anything to go by ? it all becomes something of a lottery.

texascity said:

re: Belgian (Leopold)

from my limited knowledge of world history he might be the worst ever

something like 10, 000, 000 murdered .. in the 20th century ..

just to keep up with his neighbors

Actually, Leopold II was in the 19th century, and the latest estimates are for max 800K dismembering and killing.

Gruesome enough at its time.

Just to put the record straight.

BB

jitagawn-

If there is a falang lawyer involved in a problem that ANYONE has in Thailand that person is fucked, plain and simple.

In many years of doing business in Thailand I have never seen a single case where a falang lawyer has done anything more than make sure the English wiriting is correct.

Lawyers are people- just like us. The problem is that there are just too fucking many falang lawyers in Thailand eager to sound like they know what they are talking about as they want to stay here too.

If anyone can point me to a single case of a falang lawyer turning away business I will change my opinion.

I read the book by Warren Fellows the hairdresser bloke who got caught smuggling drugs into Thailand a few years back and also the book by Sinclair on Thai prisons.

They are definitely not for the faint hearted and the justice system itself is it seems rather an arbitary process UNLESS you have connections or as the Arabs call it wasta.

If you want to do business in Thailand and indeed wish to live in Thailand i believe it is advisable to find a Thai patron who can if things ever get out of hand manage your situation so as to avoid some of the traps that the unconnected can and sometimes do fall into. You will be at the mercy of every lowlife, opportunist, and scam artist if you don't have some sort of get out of gaol card. ie a name and person to call on if things start to get out of control.

Now you may be lucky and never need the assistance of a patron but it is a little like insurance... very nice to have just in case....of course you can always go it alone but the odds are very much stacked against you and you are very unlikely to get a favourable result and the ultimate penalty could be a large loss of income or even worse a stint in a thai prison.

The Asian Legal Resource Centre (ALRC), which has General Consultative status with the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations, published a very damning report on Thailand. The report can be found here in Word format: Report on Thai Legal System

A few snippets from the report

Torture is routinely practiced and publicly accepted in Thailand. It is used by all security agencies, most commonly, the Royal Thai Police. In the minds of the ordinary people, the police are associated with routine physical abuse and humiliation of persons in their custody.
And this:
The widespread use of torture is intimately connected to other serious violations of human rights in Thailand, notably extrajudicial and targeted killings. The number of extrajudicial and targeted killings in the country has risen alarmingly in recent years.
And then this:
Institutions that exist to protect the rights of citizens are not having this effect. Within the courts, public defenders are not doing their jobs. Ordinary people in Thailand anticipate that if they are assigned a public defender then they will be found guilty. The services provided by the Law Society of Thailand are in many instances little better.
If you decide to mention "Welcome to Hell", you might consider all providing a link to this site. A real eye opener.

Are there any books about thailand written by falangs that are not mainly about prison experiences or the nightlife/prozzies?
There are a lot of bad books on Thailand. The ?great Thai novel? has yet to be written ? at least I haven?t found it. (Perhaps an opportunity for someone here?) You refer specifically to Farang authors, but even when you expand the list to include Thai authors, things don?t improve much. About the best work of fiction I have seen is ?Luk Issan?, which is generally translated as ?A Child of the Northeast? by Kampoon Boontawee. And it is not about prostitutes or prison (I will get to my favorite book in that category later.)

There are good works of non-fiction, including the following:

• - Most everything written by Chris Baker and Pasuk Phongpaichit I have seen is good, particularly their more recent books, such as ?Thaksin: The Business of Politics in Thailand?, ?Thailand ? Economy and Politics? and, most recently, ?Thailand: A History?
  • - Michael Smithies ?Descriptions of Old Siam?
  • - Professor David Wyatt?s not-so-short, but classic, history: ?Thailand: A Short History?.
  • - ?The Thaksinization of Thailand? by Duncan McCargo and Ukrist Pathmanand is good, but seems to be written for political scientists (he refers to other political scientists and theories I have never heard of as if his intended audience will be well acquainted with these people and their concepts ? I am more comfortable on economic terrain).
  • - For the nostalgic, Reginald Campbell?s ?Teak-Wallah?.

I cannot think of a Thai equivalent of Orwell?s ?Burmese Days?. Now in the ?prostitutes and prisons? category, my favorite is William T. Vollmann?s ?Butterfly Stories?, which probably doesn?t really qualify as a novel about Thailand. It really isn?t, but parts of it take place in some of our favorite venues.

started in the latter 1/2 of the 19th, 1885, & extendend into the 20th.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopold_II_of_Belgium

" an area 76 times larger than Belgium, which Leopold was free to rule as a personal domain."

" in the early 1900s. Estimates of the death toll range from 3 to 10 million"

"guys with guns are tougher to slaughter than guys with sticks!", old chinese proverb

+ the young as he feels is a graucho marx quote

perhaps the 800,000 is the # of Belgian men in hiding in their own chocoate in 1941?

:-))), lub it tu mutt!

Archived