Plasma TV's

Redbaron

Hi guys,

Looking at buying one soon, but worried about the longevity of the screens/pixels etc.

The salespeople advise AGAINST buying the more expensive LCD TV's, which is what I was looking at, as they are too dear for what they are (same cost, a lot smaller TV.)

Also they don't come big enough (ideally I'd go for a 42", that's about the biggest I could fit in the space. 42" Plasma = same $ as a 27" LCD). The salespeople are recommending a japanese made one (can't think of the name, Toshiba I think) 3 year warranty, $2100AUD (just over 60,000 baht). Another store which is owned by Panasonic naturally recommends them.

Also High Definition vs Standard. You'd imagine High is better buy my satellite TV company only broadcasts in standard, so worth an extra $500-$1500 (15-45,000baht) or not?

Any thoughts and advice greatly appreciated, and repayable in beer.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All satellite TV and most terrestrial TV stations are looking at High Definition, or in Australia, both High and Standard (Which is higher than Analouge and base digital TV) definition.

Satellite TV in USA already has many channels, Asia is planning to follow now.

I'd ONLY buy a Plazma High Def TV.

Mind you, watching yousatellite TV you'll soon discover that it looks better on a normal tv!

Why? Because when you blow up a photo on a photo copier or in Phto shop, it begins to look crap, this is what Plazma screens do, most live TV and Pay TV is the lowest level of bandwidth, so when you watch on a normal TV it looks ok, put it on a beautifuul plazma, and it looks crap unless you sit a long way back.

Now if you watch a LOT of DVD's, then buy a Plazma

DOG

I've seen plasmas in action broadcasting foxtel (digital satelitte tv-what I get) as well as digital free to air tv and it looks fantastic, then again so does my mum's flatscreen/widescreen 100Hz tv, about 90cm I think.

Grandad just bought a 50" plasma, and he loves it, even if he doesn't know what all the buttons do, but at 80 his eyesight isn't what it once was.

Digital and Hi-Def are 2 different things. All televisions are capable of receiving digital, but only HDTV capable TV's can receive HD. All satellite, at least here in the US, is digital. A growing number of OTA channels are being broadcast in HD. Cable and satellite companies offer HD on select channels, mainly the movie channels like HBO, Cinemax etc, but you need an HDTV capable receiver in order to view them.

When it comes to plasmas, bigger is not always better. How far you sit from the TV should be a consididered when choosing a screen size. Go too big and sit too close and the picture will appear grainy and pixelated. Check out this page for a little more info:

Viewing Distance

Great link liquidflux, thanks, think I'd better measure my loungeroom to make sure...

FWIW, in my case, I have Digital TV now (free to air and pay tv), but it is all broadcast through my pay-tv (satellite) tv company (new house, I have no aerial, just the sat dish). BUT it is all broadcast in standard def, don't know when it will be available in HD, they haven't been advertising it, (will check now) depending on who I talk to, some say no real noticeable difference (and not worth the extra 40-60,ooo baht) others say it's much better.

I agree HD will definately be better (if and when it comes, plus now for DVD's), but would it be worth the money?

<<Digital and Hi-Def are 2 different things.>>

Hi liquid, very aware of whats happening in Australia as I wrote part of the technical spec.

Three different type of resolution for digital TV , Standard that isn;t calledd standard, Standard, which is actually higher res, and High resolution.

DOG

Red, ABC and SBS both have HD channels,

Yes, but they are only rebroadcast (via pay tv in my case, since no aerial other than the rabbit ears) in SD. Guess I could invest in an aerial and digi box if the tv doesn't come with one, as there is not yet channel 7 nor 10 on there either, but I hardly watch them anyway, more interested in NatGeo and Sports... as well as DVD's.

Archived