Plasma TV's

Redbaron

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm leaning towards them (Panasonic HD, not that much dearer than the rest) as there's a direct to public type place not far from my mother's who have excellent prices, full warranties etc, great discounts for cash (shop owned by panasonic). They have a pretty good name too, still made in Japan too. Will stick my head in again on Saturday.

Thanks a lot for the advice guys, ND and others..

One thing to think about. Plasma TVs have a limited life. For that kind of money it might be better getting an LCD TV.

Plasma TVs last about 10,000 hours or so. That may seem like a long time but it isn't when you consider the fact that they run close to $5000 US.

LCDs have definitely improved in quality. There is a lot less ghosting now compared to when they first hit the market. Plus they are considerably cheaper.

Have to dissagree on the pricing. Down Under the LCD's are a lot more expensive. A 42" Plasma costs about the same as a 27" LCD.

The longevity of the plasma screens has been the main reason for my conundrum... butthey advertise 60,000 hours. How accurate this figure is, I don't know, which is why I'll be going for a better name brand. Warranty is 3 years.

Since you're doing some research, you might want to check out this area:

http://www.extremetech.com/category2/0,1695,268,00.asp

It has reviews, etc.

Included on that page is a URL to a 4 part series on the ins and outs of the different display technologies:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1752639,00.asp

I think you'll find it all quite informative. Extreme Tech is one of my favorite mags. The authors are quite expert.

• 2 weeks later...

All televisions are capable of receiving digital,

This is not correct. A TV has to be built to recieve digital transmissions otherwise it will require an external decoder. Sweden is currently changing from analog to digital so it's an issue here.

regards

ALHOLK

Archived