Cula... thai langue cource...

Did check out the Thai languges cource at Chula which last one year and is dived in nine diffrent cource...

-Are they good? They seem to be very

expensive.

-Are there any other schools that can be recomended?

AAUA=American University Alimnae offers a course, also divided into maybe 10 or so different sections, each about 200 hours or so. Cost is something like 90bht/hr but is cheaper if you buy several hours at a shot. I believe it is divided into several different sections, and the first several, you just listen, no talking. They also suggest you not try to speak Thai during this period. You can try auathailand.com for more information. I am told this is one of the better schools.

The Chula courses are VERY expensive, overpriced in my opinion. The instructors are strict too, which suits some people, and not others. The one thnig that they do offer is tuition in the language to a VERY HIGH level.

While Chual is the country's most prestigous university, the teaching techniques have been described to me as "typically Thai". An Australian friend who speaks EXCELLENT Thai studied there for a while, but while he benefited from it, he felt it was too expensive, especially give nthe qualtiy of instructions.

Stick

Generally the standard of teaching at a University is usually very high. The lecturers would have continual ongoing training and the courses progressively upgraded. The teaching staff would also be meeting with the staff from other institutions, discussing their teaching methods and working together on more effective ways.

This is also probably quite an advanced course and I would guess only suit people with experience studying at University level.

Chula is a first grade University you would expect a course to be expensive there.

The University with the best reputation in Thailand for its "Thai for speakers of other languages" course is Chiang Mai. They have just held a conference there for teachers of Thai as a Foreign Language. A number of thai teachers and interested parties from around the world attended.

The Dept. head at Chiang Mai, Prof. Sriwalai Ponmanee has also written a textbook

"Learning to Read Thai". It is very good.

I know people who have studied at AUA and I personally dont think much of their current course. Their course is quite revolutionary but other courses seem to get better results.

I think some of their old texts and course material is very good and very handy for anyone learning thai.

quote:

Originally posted by flyonzewall:

andrew, sticky,

why don't you attend some english spelling course first?

just an idea...
smile.gif" border="0

Yes you seems to be a very kind and friendly person, but I don't think english cource will improve my Thai and that was my question.

[ December 25, 2001: Message edited by: Andrew ]

quote:

Originally posted by Andrew:

Yes you seems to be a very kind and friendly person, but I don't think english cource will improve my Thai and that was my question.

[ December 25, 2001: Message edited by: Andrew ]

kind and friendly, hmmm...so i guess you won't join then the hate-the-fly-club...

smile.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by flyonzewall:

kind and friendly, hmmm...so i guess you won't join then the hate-the-fly-club...

smile.gif" border="0

Hehe nope I am not sure about that.. Will think about it when down at NEP tonight.

Archived