on the spot HIV examinations...

FAT_AUSSIE

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Two years ago I went with a girl to be tested at Bamrungrat. Cost was 1000B each, and they said results would be ready in less than an hour. We didn't want to wait around as it was dinner hour, so we phoned in at about 9PM. My result was negative and hers they said was not ready, and to come in the next day. She started crying. Sure enough, she was positive. She had some high risk behavior before she knew me, either sex with a male sex worker, or sex with someone who had sex with a male sex worker.

Today I went with a girl to be tested in Pattaya. Cost is 1000B at a hospital, 600B at a clinic which said results would take 15 minutes, and 300B at Buakhao Clinic on Soi Buakhao, which said results would be ready in 5 minutes.

Girl and I both negative, and watched the doctor do the test. Put a drop of blood on a little stick, which used an osmosis type test, one line negative, two lines positive. The brand name was Bioline, and do not know from what country, but at $7 US, quite a bargain if accurate.

Shouldn't this be in the Health section?

It is possible, but not probable for a person to be infected and test negative for several months. It is widely accepted that most people will show a positive anti-body result at about one month to an exposure that "infects". It is also generally accepted that a negative result at 3 months is pretty much a final result. The American CDC does recommend a follow-up at 6 mos. just to eliminate that rare medical "oddity" that can always occur.

Infected people can transmit while testing negative. Protect yourself and wear a condom and/or insist your partner wear a condom. Such a small task for protecting everyone involved.

Women are much more likely than men to become infected when exposed. Receiving oral from an HIV+ has a 1 in 10,000 chance of transference. The risk greatly increases if you are performing the oral.

Results from my research at various credible websites.

U2B

To answer Pasathai, there is a very strong possibility that a person discovering they are HIV positive while alone in their own room would just hole up terribly depressed, possibly suicidal, not seeking counciling on treatment and coping with the infection. It is really vital that a newly diagnosed person get immediate support.

There is also the very real possibility that the home administered test result is in error. People really don't follow the simplest directions well, especially if they have maybe had a few drinks to get up the courage to do the test. A physician aquaintance of mine once remarked about the many ways patients had screwed up home pregnancy tests, getting false results with more than a few suicides resulting.

Thailand actually has a pretty decent HIV support system. A relative of my GF in Khon Kean has been HIV+ for 2 years now and has monthly check-ups at the Ampoe hospital where he is given his supply of anti-retrovirals.

One of the really infuriating aspects of the "Free Trade" agreement the US is trying to force on Thailand is the total control by US drug Companies of HIV drugs, meaning Thailand and other countries that produce affordable versions would have to cease production and pay the greatly inflated prices US manufacturers charge. AAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!

Archived