Farang Kii Nok

TomYumLing

I was going for a jog around our neighbor hood in Samut Prakan, and running down one of the sois and occasionally here a '...farang...' murmur from the houses or people sitting around. Then, as I'm passing one of the houses, some kids are playing on the inside of the gate, and I here, "...farang Kii Nok...". I keep running, and resist the urge to run back an interogate the brat about why he's called me bird shit, on the off chance a) I have bird shit on me, or B) its a secret compliment I haven't learned yet.

I asked the girlfriend, and she said the kids probably picked it up from mommy + daddy and didn't know what it meant. She suggested its said to imply farang's are cheap?

What gives?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is specific, not gereral. Does not mean that all farangs are cheap, but the target of the comment is cheap. Example: a Khao San Rd. packpacker who stays in a dormitory guest rooms, wears raggy clothes, looks unkempt, and eats/drinks on the street would be a farang kee nok. Your average biz man in a suit would not be considered as such, even if he were frugal.

Why did the boys call you that? Who knows? Kids will be kids -- prolly some "profanity" that they just learned and had to try out.

Cheers,

SD

Yup. I am not an expert, but the expression "kee nok" seems to imply more generally to "good for nothing" including being cheap as par of it. If they just want to say you are cheap specifically they will say "kee neo". For me the best results are to act as if I never heard anything. Anyone who says stuff like that does not exist as far as I am concerned and is not worth my time addressing their presence.

What "farang kee nok" actually means is a 'dton farang' (guava tree) that has sprouted where a bird has shat out the seeds from a guava it munched on. In other words, it's a guava tree that just sprouted and wasn't deliberately planted. (The Portugese brought the guava from South America centuries ago, which is why the tree is called a 'dton farang' and the fruit a 'look farang'.)

The word gained a slang meaning back to the VN War days, when there were American GIs stationed in Thailand. Farang kee nok back then was used to describe a Thai who tried too hard to dress like an American, speak English all of the time, use American slang etc.

The American wannabe meaning seems to have been forgotten, and now the term simply is applied in a derogatory fashion to anyone a Thai feels like insulting. While it is usually an unwashed KSR backpacker in torn clothing that is the target, I once was called a Farang kee nok when I was going out in a business suit and tie. Go figure.

:dunno:

Guest lazyphil

Dont they realise some of these scruffy backpackers have minted parents who live in thatched 15 Century grade 2 listed cottages with a range rover and merc in the garage with a place in spain too, well, i know one like this, i doubt this would ever occur to them though....do they know your average petty thief here attends his court apperence looking pretty smart in his suit, dont judge the book as they say!

While they say this in the West, it is *certainly* NOT the case here in Asia, with a few exceptions to Chinese bizmen off duty. But then again, they look like that for a reason (safety). Why do you think so many Thais (Malays/Chinese/Indos/Vietnamese/etc) drive a Benz/Beamer but live in a studio 40M^2 condo?

Appearance is everything in Asia!

Cheers,

SD

Archived