Farang Kii Nok

TomYumLing

FAT_AUSSIE said:

in my wifes own words "kinok is same when farang is stay in Thailand for long time and then no have money"

That's how it was explained to me as well.

I got it on Sukhumvit after having scowled at someone standing in front of me trying to herd me into their shitty bag shop.

Luv Em.

Kwai

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The strange thing is that Farang kee nok originally was an insult aimed at a certain type of Thai, but now is almost always used for Farangs!

As to the "poor backpackers", some of them indeed do have money. A few years ago I was in an internet cafe at KSR with a friend. He quietly told me to look at the monitor of the scruffy backpacker who was sitting on the other side of him. I did ... and the impoverished fellow was checking his bank account on line. He just happened to have something over 120,000 pounds in it! I've been told that KSR is getting something of an older set these days -- folks who were backpackers in their younger years and now are trying to recapture those times. Some KSR hotels are cashing in on this by going a bit upmarket and charging as much as 2,500 baht a night for a room.

::

p.s. Still plenty of the poor slobs around though. But many of them have moved a few blocks north to Thewet, since KSR is getting too costly for them to stay in.

No - it is a trendy Thai place, the Japanese Hieniken Music fecstival had a crowd of young thais, we couldn;t move, bugger all farangs!

Last weekend again, walking along the road, you'd see about half the party goers as thais!

It seems young thais want to go to the same food/music/disco places young farangs do.

DOG

• 2 weeks later...

Literal Translation:

Farang kee nok: Foreign Bird Shit

Kee Niaw: Sticky shit

I've heard kids calling each other "kee maa" (Dog shit - but could also be "horse shit" if you used a different tone on the word "maa"...) Makes your headspin this Thai language sometimes!!

Moo Noi (Little Pig)

MooNoi said:

Literal Translation:

Kee Niaw: Sticky shit

Moo Noi (Little Pig)

"Kee Niew" = "Sticky Shit" is actually a very common Farang mis-interpretation which few Thais take the trouble to correct, particulary, of course, the Bar Girls who happily make fun of the poor Farang who thinks he is starting to understand the Thai language.

Yes, "Kee" as a Noun can mean "shit" or "faeces", however it is also an Adjective which translates as ?having a tendency to? or ?likes?, as in ?Kee Mao? = ?tends to drink too much?, or ?Kee Bon? = ?likes to gossip?, ?Kee Ouat? = ?likes to boast (or show off)? etc..

Further, in this situation ?Niew? may be more correctly translated as ?holding back? or ?cause delay? rather than ?sticky?.

Thus the proper translation of ?Kee Niew? is someone who has a tendency to be stingy or frugal.

Paul

Archived