Wireless Lan is great, especially when unprotected

kamui

Hi,

I am currently in Paris for work. After a very nice dinner I am back in my hotel in the 6th Arrondissement.

My hotel doesn't offer any internet connection. But my IBM notebook found 6 WLANs and the second I tried is unsecured. It means I can surf the web :hubba:, check my email, do some late work and post at Nanaplaza for free.

:yay:

ND,

???

If they check their wireless logs, they can see the name of your computer very easily. Not that that does much for them, but they can surely see everyone who has tried to connect to them.

At least that what is looks like in my system! Mine is a Gummigut special so I'm sure others are using the same.

agreed, only "low techis" don't secure their networks. - I am currently posting via another unsecured network from my hotel. My computer shows 5 WLans, 4 of them are unsecured. :o ::.

Any user who has some basic knowledge and concern about security can secure his network easily against Wlan hitchhikers like me. But a hacker just needs 3 Minutes and some sniffer software to hack into a basicly secured network (WEP)...

Archived