Legal age

allatsea2000

On reading a post yesterday, i replied about what if person was from a bar or go go, and they were underage, what would have happened to that farang.

Well there seems to be confusion, or different opinions, on the matter, so what is it what is the legal age of consent in thailand.

Im sure there are alot of people out there who have had close calls.

I tend to stick to mid twenties to be safe, but i can remember talking to one girl who told me she was 21 and believe it or not she did look it, but when i looked at her id she was actually 17.

Im sure there must be some people out there who just didnt know

anyway enough rambling what is the age of consent

does it differ if they work in the industry at either a bar or go go

?????

Thailand's legal age of consent is 13 under the Thai Penal Code, but that law is more or less augmented by a seperate statute designed at "suppressing prostitution" in the Kingdom. It lays out stiff penalties for anyone paying for sex with a woman under the age of 18 years.

It means basically that you should not have sex in Bangkok with anyone under 18 regardless of your moral code or how "in lub" you are because the law can be used against you. The police just have to get a girl to say she was paid and your are in the prison system and paying a fine.

That's the letter of the law.

Cheers,

the_numbers

I was recently in a pong gogo and next to me was a girl quietly watching the dancing having a heineken and in plain clothes. She looked in her 20's, dark, not real thin, maybe a 6, fairly standard bar girl features. After a time I started a friendly chat figuring she had previously been barfined or was waiting for someone. I soon discovered she was from Cambodia visiting Thailand for the first time and did not work at the bar. She proudly presented her passport to prove it and I couldn't help but notice she was 14. Scary. At that moment the "I only take the ones who look mid 20's" safety method didn't seem so good. While she wasn't trolling for customers it did cross my mind she might have been sizing up jobs.

"Thailand's legal age of consent is 13"

Actually, it is 15. The penalties for sex with a minor are higher if the minor is not yet 13.

"It lays out stiff penalties for anyone paying for sex with a woman under the age of 18 years...

The police just have to get a girl to say she was paid and your are in the prison system and paying a fine.

That's the letter of the law."

This is not the letter of the law. The law (section 8 of the Prostituion Prevention and Suppression Act BE 2539) prohibits sex wjth a person under 18 in a prostitution establishment. It states: "Prostitution Establishment? means the place or premises arranged for prostitution or allowed for prostitution, and shall include the place used for making contact or procuring another person for prostitution.

Now, whether police in Thailand follow the letter of the law, that's another question.

This is not the letter of the law. The law (section 8 of the Prostituion Prevention and Suppression Act BE 2539) prohibits sex wjth a person under 18 in a prostitution establishment. It states: "Prostitution Establishment? means the place or premises arranged for prostitution or allowed for prostitution, and shall include the place used for making contact or procuring another person for prostitution.

so this means if outside the prostitution establishment its ok?

what kind of legal double talk is that?

Hi!

I was in Thailand in 96 when the law was changed. I bar owner I knew then showed me a pamflet distributed by the police to all farang bars. I'm not sure if the age of consent was 15 or 16 but it was definitely not 13. To my knowlwdge it never has been. Mind you that the legal age for whores is 18 as has already been pointed out.

regards

ALHOLK

Archived