Greatest Boxer

Dude_Le_Rude

Only heavyweights have been mentioned so far. I have read "many" boxing experts who claim Sugar Ray Robinson primarily a middle weight was the greatest.

Many claim that Joe Louis was the best heavyweight. But, it seems to me that the heavyweight division is a special case because of the increased size of human beings and the improved athletic ability of very large men. Joe Louis and Rocky Marciano only weighted 190 lbs. - Cruiserweight size for today. Muhammad Ali was a big man for his time, about 6'3" tall and around 220 lbs. Now there is even talk of a Super Heavyweight Division because of the number of very large Heavyweight boxers. Klistko, who just retired was something like 6'7" and 250 lbs. Lennox Lewis was almost as large. Joe Louis and Muhammad Ali may have been the best for their time but, the guys today are too big and powerful for them.

The best fighter I have seen was Roberto Duran in his prime. At the time he fought Sugar Ray Leonard (moving up a weight class to do so) his record was 72 - 1 (and he subsequetly avenged his 1 loss). Of course his next fight with Leonard was a diaster and he did have a mixed career thereafter - fighting until he was 50 years old as a middle weight. But, he did have a great first career (his first 73 fights) and was the best pound-for-pound at the time.

Today, most seem to say Floyd Mayweather is the best pound-for-pound but I would like to see him fight Zab Judah and Ricky Hatton before making that conclusion.

For me, you have to look at a few things. The quality of the opponents. The length of time they fought. Title defenses against quality opponents as well.

Even though he was undefeated I'd put Marciano behind a few boxers. Ali, Louis, Jack Johnson, Sullivan. We sometimes rule out the heavyweight champions from the late 1800s and early 1900s of Irish descent. These guys were bruisers who fought the best and held their title for a while. Different era and different times but taken into account were up there with just about anyone.

Marciano's record was 'padded' in my opinion.

As for boxer of any weight. Hmm, that's difficult. I won't even bother to garner a guess. I have some ideas but it requires too much thought for me at this time.

Archived