Sanaam Luang

limbo

The royal grounds. It's where the plowing ceremony takes places, as well as royal cremations. It is also sometimes refered to as the Pramane Grounds, especially when it is being used for a cremation.

It's about double the size it once was, since Rama V tore down almost all of the walls of the former palace of the deputy king when that position was abolished and replaced by a crown prince. The eastern half of Sanam Luang used to lie within the deputy king's palace.

Went there on mothers day in August after rushing back from concert in chonburi in the afternoon. Fantastic and well worth the trip, I think they had five stages and great firework display. Could not get anywhere hear the morlam stage which seemed to be mainly Nok Noi. Had a bit of luck at another stage with loads of people leaving because they thought it was the string stage, so sat right at the front just in time to see Luknok, she lights up the stage when she comes on, a real little miss sunshine. We buggered of when some string rubbish came on. Ended up at the front of the top stage with all the royal pics at the back. Saw Jintara of course who we'd seen in chonburi a few hours before. Jonas and christy were on but he never got a mali and she only one, ha ha. I'd go there again but not there very often at the times of the big free events

Well, speaking a bit out of my ass, I would say "sanam luang" literally means "big field" or "major field". It is also in fact a well known field, famous for various festivals and happenings taking place there as well as it's streetwalkers roaming around after dark (though I've never seen one there). You'll find it close to the Royal Palace and Wat Phra Kaeow. -- Sanam Luang is not to be confused with "Suan Luang", which is a royal park behind Seacon Square in the Suan Luang-district of BKK.

Allright gents, this is cleared thanks for that.

It was explained to me by a massage lady that an action was performed there called chuck wow, and she showed the technique to which she said, it almost looked like ringing a church bell in a church on a rope, old style, that's how the word 'chuck wow' got it's meaning.

Possible?

If you're around, go there for the King's birthday. There will be screens set up all over. with Thai films being shown. (A few years ago some idiots got busted for showing a blue movie, which folks thought was a bit disrespectful for HM's birthday!)

Great place to pick up birds -- if you are still young and good looking. :(

limbo said:

Keekwai,

She was merely explaining where the word chuck wow originated from. No clue how she came to that :angel:

So does it originate from the kite flying? Is that related to in some way as chuck wow? Pull the rope?

The massage lady was pulling your leg limbo. Actually it has nothing to do with kites. It can be traced back to the ancient Thai ritual of mass public masturbation. They abandoned the practice in the late 1800's after adverse reactions from European tourists. I'll see if I can find a link... ::

Archived