Bank Accounts

Nervous_Dog

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's interesting to learn that the branches around the Farang areas are are more likely to ignore the BOT edict requiring work permits - shows the power of demand to circumvent unrealistic regulations. It certainly makes sense. And yes, "kasikorn" is a transliteration of the Thai word for "agriculture".

Bangkok Bank, 85 Suk

One thing the bank lady mentioned, that is of concern, that "...in six months, will be trouble..."

She mentioned in reference that she could setup an account for me but trouble in six months???

She did not explain further, but I would hate to see my $$$ locked up by some Thai ruling in six months.

If they actually start enforcing the Bank of Thailand regulation it will be trouble. It will also be inconsistent with the requirement that holders of retirement visas (a) bring funds into Thailand (which requires a bank account) but (B) not hold a work permit (which is required to open a bank account). It will also generally make it more difficult for foreigners to do business here.

But it will also be consistent with the current trend here. My hope is that this trend will stop once the political nonsense here stops.

What is this "Bank of Thailand regulation"?

I'm going to move to Thailand in a few months and will likely be applying for a retirement visa. I was going to stick some money in a Thai savings account, just for emergencies (say 200,000 baht). I can prove a monthly income of at least 65,000 baht, so there's no real reason why I actually need a Thai bank account, other than for emerency use in case the wire transfer system or ATM network goes down.

Do they not want retirees to open bank accounts?

Rex

What is this "Bank of Thailand regulation"?

Do they not want retirees to open bank accounts?

Rex

From what I understand, you must wire in like 2,000,000 Baht, to a Thailand Bank account, so as to secure your retirement visa.

Yes, they want (must) you to have a Thailand bank account.

I just got back from Kasikorn Bank, located around Soi 39 Sukhumvit and completed the setup of my "non-resident" bank (savings) account.

The lovely young lady was most farang friendly and in ten minutes or so, had the account setup. The ATM card (for local/Thailand use only) was an additional 150 baht.

I deposited 5,000 Baht and was quickly on my way.

So now, I can watch the Baht exchange rate and wire money to the account to take advantage of a favorable rate (if there will ever be one again).

Their website is available in English:

http://www.kasikornbank.com/GlobalHome/EN/homepage.html

i still would like to understand what will happen with such a farang-account when the owner died somewhere outside thailand.

to open an account they just ask for your hotel address, thats all.(and a copy of passport)

What will happens later if the owner died somewhere outside Thailand and the bank don't know nothing about that.

-have someone here any (serious) informations?

Archived