Citizenship?

FAT_AUSSIE

something like holding non imm visa & work permtits 3-4 years & one becomes eligable to apply for permanent residency.

then spend some more 'quality' time in LOS & eventually one may even become eligible to handover a large amount of cash to apply for the passport - I'd never do it of course unless able to hold dual citizenship ;)

Permanent recidence is not the same as full citizenship. Surely you can apply for permanent recidency after 3 years of continious non immigrant visas and hand over a shit load of cach. But that will only get you the right to live here, not all the citizen rights.

Of course I agree that it would be stupid to give up your current citzenship. But I believe Thai laws doesn't allow dual citizenship, unless in special cases.....

Regards,

Danish30

OK - people i am talking about, thai passports, just so it's clear. In fact Flash knows one of them.

<<But I believe Thai laws doesn't allow dual citizenship, unless in special cases.....>>

Not correct, WAS correct but changed after the ecenomic collapse to allow thais to return that had emigrated.

DOG

It?s not illegal to hold Dual Citizenship as a Thai ? literally thousand of people here have 2 Passports, including my Daughter (British father, Thai mother and born in Thailand). She leaves and enters Thailand on her Thai Passport and enters / leaves UK, Europe or the US on her British one ? just easier than using the Thai Passport because most places don?t require a Visa if she presents the British Passport.

I have PR here ? received it over 30 years ago and I cannot remember how much it cost back then.

I thought of obtaining Thai Citizenship but there would be no real advantage for me ? OK, I could vote (not particularly interested in that) and own Land in my name ? but all land we have here is in either my wife?s, my daughters? or my Company?s name so again no real point in jumping through all the hoops, and with PR I can stay here as long as I wish and only have to get a Re-entry Visa if I want to leave on holiday or whatever.

Paul

I still laugh at my Aussie mate who has dual nationality, came in late one night and accidentilly entered on his Australian passport, a few months leaving the country, they wanted to know why his Thai passport shows him leaving but not returning and he's leaving again!

He quickly wips out the Aussie passport, but faced a huge overstay fine, even though Thai!

DOG

I have PR status. It allows me to live here forever and I don't have to make visa runs, but I still have to apply for a work permit every year. Since you'd think they want someone who is living here to be able to support himself, this really doesn't make sense. I also cannot vote, own land, etc.

PR status is, however, a first step towards Thai citizenship. Dual nationality is possible for Americans. The US discourages it, but it is actually very difficult for Americans to lose their US nationality (we can probably thank the US policy of worldwide taxation for this)

One of the biggest, maybe *the* biggest, expat businessmen here in LoS has Thai citizenship, Bill Heineke (owns Pizza Company, amongst other things). AFAIK, he did it for tax resasons and only has a Thai passport. He gave back in his Yank one.

I agree that a PR here in LoS is noy worth much, let alone the B190K or whatever it is they charge for it, especially if you are married to a Thai which gets you 1 year visas no questions asked.

Cheers,

SD

Archived