Riding a Motorbike in BKK

INTJ

I think it would be safe as houses - arent most of the 300,000 accidents just drunk Thai's or boy racers, in the early hours of the morning? Take it easy, dont drive like a nutter and definatley dont try and ride home pissed...and it would be a breeze, i think.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Riding a bike in BKK is probably just about the most dangerous activity you can do. That aside, it does get you tremendous feel for the city and road knowledge. -- I used to bike daily myself in BKK for a few years and I can honestly say that I find my way around in most parts of the city with confidence (except in the very outskirts to the West and North West).

Maps: I doubt there is a comprehensive one available -- at least not in English. Get any map available in book stores to get the big picture. Learn about new roads, "special roads" and sub-sois by experience.

And for last, I recommend BKK Riders Club Home Page (though this is for 400 cc + bikes)

Happy riding and be careful out there!

There is no drifting at Drag Avenue, there just is a 2 lane, 402 meter stretch.

Have a look at :-

www.bangkokdrag.com

The website is not finished, but it should give some idea. It is a fantastic day/night out (if you are a petrolhead).

There are drift events from time to time elsewhere, but the Thais seem more fond of gymkhana.

INTJ.

wow 260km/h - that must be some nice car ;)

glad I got my racing days behind me though :doah:

personally I was never a fan of motobikes except perhaps on the countryside at a slow pace.

had a crash in the mediterrian on my first rental bike & then a more severe crash as the passenger on a moto in bkk - no big surprice - happens everyday.

still use the bkk motos now & again as they really are convenient for that short hop, but I almost shit my pants everytime they hit the 3 lane streets :o

on finding the way? get your sense of direction & the east-west, north-south main grid sorted, which should be possible quick for the central area - then start exploring :hubba:

A motorbike was the key element in my enjoyment of Thailand. With the right outfit, helmet, and shoe choice nobody knows you are a farang until you decide to let them know.

There was no better fun than going from suk, soi 41 to soi 4 on all back alleys...

No health insurance, just a blessing from the local wat is all that is needed, guarenteed to keep you safe, as cheap as 100 baht per lifetime...

My favorite pastime was getting lost in Bangkok...learn the bus routes and then just follow a bus when you can't make your own way..

Greetings.

I have a Yamaha scooter for the past two years. I have had a motorcycle for over 30 years, so know what to do. In those yes, yes, I have dropped the bike, been run in to by cars...and this was not in BKK!

I drove a scooter for three years in Taiwan...which is worse than here in BKK!!!

For sure, get the correct drivers license, so avoid hassles with the boys in brown and carry all the required papers with you for the scooter. Always wear a helmut, drive extremely defensively and always *** jai yen yen *** (keep a cool heart).

It is a fast way to get around the city. I am in the 93 Sukumvit area, so it is not too bad. I can get to Carre Four or Lotus easily. If I need to go like to Mo Chit, I use the BTS...not worth it to suck all the road smoke for 30~60 minutes.

Be safe!

Mike

Archived