Airport fees for departure

asiafun

500 baht ... bloody cheap compared with many other countries in the world.

Personally I prefer to pay in cash rather than have it included in ticket price. Twice now I've bought tickets and been assured that all taxes included when they weren't. Once in KL and once in Kunming, China. I had to pay again and never got a refund from travel agents despite complaining. :banghead:

Mai ben rai

:beer:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thalenoi said:

Airport taxes are to cover the expenses to run the airport: clean toilets, security.

Hi thalenoi,

This may be true in some places but not in the UK. The tax - on tickets, I believe rather than an airport tax - goes to the government to do with as they like. Airports (mostly) are not state owned and have to operate at a profit from charges to airlines - and renting retail space and I guess any other activities they can think of. The owner of Hethrow and Gatwick (BAA) has just won a contract to operate Budapest airport.

khwai

Same thing in K.C. They are building a basketball arena for around $280 million financed by a hotel and car rental tax. However, here all you have to do is stay on the Kansas side or rent a car on the Kansas side to avoid the tax. I go to St. Maarten regularly and they still have a booth set up to collect the $30 departure tax. However, several airlines, like AA, now do collect the tax when you buy the ticket.

Straycat said:

Add Canada to the list (at least that was the case a few years ago).

Canada has since figured out its easier to put it in the ticket price. Whooppeee!

Flyers no longer have to line up and deal with high school math flunkers or automatic (sic) machines that break down late at night.

spudsmck said:

Last October at the airport some dude didn't have a baht, so I lent him the 500 baht.....doubt I'll ever see it again, but never really expected it anyways.

Doubt I'll ever do it again, but gotta help out a fellow traveler once in a while.

Good on you!

Two years ago I stumbled up from Pattaya, checked in and went to go through and didn't have the 500baht, I was skint.

Went to the Eva counter and asked if they could help. "Nope".

Could I speak to a supervisor? "Nope, busy". Started to feel deeply fcuked.

Half a dozen Eva staff looking at me. The most beautiful girl, she'd be a gogo stunner, took my passport and made a photocopy. Came back and handed my 500 baht.

She said I hope you can return it, its my own money.

Got home and sent her US$25 in a birthday card.

Her husband e-mailed a week later thanking me for her.

I chat with her every time if she's at work when I pass through. Her heart was as beautiful as her face and body.

Going to Asia, Eva Air only for me!

I had a connecting flight in KL from Aus with Malaysian Airlines who code share some flights to BKK with Thai Aiirways. They put me on the TG code share flight, but the tax had apparently been paid to MAS, so I had to pay again.

No reimbursement from agent or MAS. :-(

:beer:

Archived