Thai DL

Will I need to bring a med form and a proof of address to get my renewal??? I know they want the Passport stuff and your owld DL but there seems to be some interesting positions on the other two!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MIght you make a post about Thai Dl v INtl....

I would first look into the law about residents etc.

Using my Thai DL as ID for many many things

Not really needing to carry a passport as MIB will most always accept it as ID

Oy Yeah...Having a Thai DL will get you a better deal on the tea money issue.

I wasn't a hastle and seems that if you live in LOS your suppose to get a Thai DL as the opther paper is bunko after 90 daqys....

I'm sure the board will find more.........

Spot on Tabby.

And I did not find the procedure to get a Thai DL painful at all. They were quite friendly & helpful and the cutie at the information counter was very flirty :D. And the cost is not much, far less than an average night out.

AFAIK, an "international DL" is nothing more than a translation of your existing home country DL and is worthless without that DL. And even more worthless in Thailand if you hail from an English-speaking country, as a DL in English is accepted for visitors to drive with at face value (meaning that no translation is necessary).

Cheers,

SD

cavanami said:

With all the hassle and cost to get a Thai DL, I opted for the international DL. About $60 USD, good for 10 years and was Fed-x'd to me here in the LOS in a few days...

I don't believe any Intern'l DL is valid for 10-years. There are a number of Internet scams that will sell you such a license.

Hopefully that wasn't your situation. And $60...? Whew, quite expensive compared to the cost of a Thai DL. I think my renewal for a 5-year Thai license for both the moto and auto cost about 500-Bt total.

When I returned to visit the States, I acquired an Internl DL in BKK, as my States license had expired. The Intern'l DL license was valid for 1-year.

suadum said:

What interesting positions? Those two forms are required, so bring them with you or you will be making a return trip. Simple.

Cgeers,

SD

Now, I'm talking the Office on Suk as the one in Phuket lists no med or residency papaers??? Where did you do your DL...

BTW, How about letting people know about the law as to your home lic if you take up residnece in LOS...

For me I reside in Thailand and another country. I list my self so at my embassy!

Roger on that hottie at the info desk.....I though she was working the desk to meet a Farang......she was very nice and sexy to...Had a low cut blouse and would smile as she leaned to point out a line and tell me what to write.....

I do mine at Mochit in Bangkok.

Not sure what you mean re: home license & Thai license. I maintain my US license even though I have not lived there in almost 20 years (save for an 18 mo spell a few years ago). But I own property in two states. Never had an issue with the Thai (or Japanese, or Sillyporian or Malaysian authorities), nor Nevada or Michigan authorities regarding multiple licenses (tho' only one US license at a time).

Cheers,

SD

suadum said:

I do mine at Mochit in Bangkok.

Not sure what you mean re: home license & Thai license. I maintain my US license even though I have not lived there in almost 20 years (save for an 18 mo spell a few years ago). But I own property in two states. Never had an issue with the Thai (or Japanese, or Sillyporian or Malaysian authorities), nor Nevada or Michigan authorities regarding multiple licenses (tho' only one US license at a time).

Cheers,

SD

Home Lic meaning form those who are using an Int'l DL with some lic from outside of LOS....Now, I understand but not with any great source , that after 90 days in LOS you are required to get a Thai DL.....I know of a gent that didn't press the issue of not taking anything but the color blind test is you have a lic from elsewherer(translated version also) and got flunked cause he was slow on parkikng his newly purchase Fortuner.

I have had more than one walk from the MiB cause I have a Thai DL.....

I actually live in two places so I keep as lic from the U.S. and Thai both. did try and get by with showing the coppers a Thai lic but was advinsed that if I hold a US produce it now...

Suadum.....did you have to bring a med/residence paper for renewal. You must live in the zone covered by that office???

Head office

1032 Phaholyothin Road

Lardyao, Chatuchak district.

tel: 02-272-5322, 02-272-5493.

Covers the districts: Pomprarb Satruphai, Samphanthawong, Patumwan, Bangrak, Dusit, Phayathai, Bangsue, Huay kwang, Bangkhen, Bangkapi, Don muang, Chatuchak, Din daeng, Lardprao, Saimhai and Rachathevee

Archived