The negative "Plao" used under which circumstances

Pescator

I often wondered when you can answer a question by using the negative "Plao".

In case the question asked is ending with "Ruu Plao" it is rather obvious. But on several occasions I`ve heard it used under other circumstances.

What is the rule? - that is if there is one.

Michael Christoffersen

Just a plain "plao" as an answer means "no".

It's very colloquial.

"Rue plao" ("or not") at the end of a question is quite similar to "(or) don't you?". Example: "Yaak kin, rue plao?" = "You want eat, or don't you?"

I agree with SB and rictic. PLAO literally means "empty", and is a very colloquial way of saying "no".

Sometimes you hear PLAO NEE(h)! which means something like "absolutely not" and conveys indignation.

PLAO can also mean "nothing", or "nothing at all" as when answering a question such as PEN ARAI? PLAO.

[ August 16, 2001: Message edited by: luckyfarang ]

Originally posted by Lamock Chokaprret:

"'bpen arai' as in 'what you be' ??"

No. It means "what's up?" or "what's the problem?". Answer: "Plao" - nothing.

"'what are you doing?' - 'tahm arai?'"

"Tam arai yoo" is better (gerund).

with the expected answer being 'mai mii tahm arai' ...

"Plao, mai tam arai (yoo)" would be the right answer (No, I don't do anything); or "Plao, mai tam arai loei" (No, I don't do anything at all).

When asking about something that happened in the past, the question word is reu bplao rather than mai. For example if you're having a conversation about what you did two days ago, and your girl wants to know if you ate, she'll ask gin reu bplao.

So when the conversation is about the past, and the reu bplao isn't asked, it's still accurate to use bplao to mean no.

I think.

I think there's a slight difference in meaning between plao and mai. If you use plao, it indicates that there's an assumption or implication in the question that is incorrect. For example, if somebody asks "what did you say?" (implying that you said something), you might answer "plao" to mean that you didn't say anything.

Archived