British gal raped and murdered Samui

BuffHello

Quote -

''I'm with you on that. The casualness with which they did it is a wake up, but even more is the reaction of thais who seem to give it little thought (other than how it affects thai's reputation). Was it because she was farang that no one cares? Or is it that she is just a stranger to them and thais don't empathize with people they don't know personally or via the TV, even when its a thai who is the victim.''

Yes i agree with that. I think many Thai's care only about anything connected to them directly. If your not fammily, friend or business affiliate...then its not my business. Only stuff inside their little bubble should be of concern. Probably what the fishermen thought - I dont know who they killed, so bugger it.... i'll forget about it.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that really a surprise? If it were a Thai victim and Thai perpetrators, I doubt it would receive much attention on this board. The only reason this thread is so long is because it is someone vaguely connected to us (farang tourist).

Flashermac said:

Then by extension we are all capable of being saints as well ...

You have a definitely low opinion of humanity when you say that we are all capable of commiting atrocities just because another person has done so. Why judge the human race by the worst of its members? Do you think we all have a Hitler or a Stalin hiding in us waiting for a chance to come out???

Yes we are all capable of kindness and tenderness etc but of course we are also capable of the most heinous of acts. Any student of history knows full well that the history of humanity is one of violence, wars, and indiscriminate killings. We are predatory beings......civilisation as we understand it today hangs by a very thin cord ...start messing with the food bowl of so called western civilised countries and watch law and order break down entirely. I know it is not pleasant and we think we are better and more highly evolved etc, but unfortunately the history of mankind is not a very pretty one.

It is most interesting to note that the posters on this thread who deny black and blue that they could commit any heinous crimes are the same ones calling for all sorts or terrible retribution for those that committed this rape. It seems a sort of perverted moral code that can deny that there is any badness inside them yet at the same instance be clamouring for retribution via death penalties and revelling in an orgy of vengence.

Neo, that poses an interesting question; if you are aware of an unreported Thai - Thai murder, lets say in the appartment/house opposite you... would you call it in?

''It is most interesting to note that the posters on this thread who deny black and blue that they could commit any heinous crimes are the same ones calling for all sorts or terrible retribution for those that committed this rape.''

Well....yes, of course they should be punished. I dont think anyone is calling for a 'terrible' retribution - simple justice, maybe.

I guess we all have different expectations here... what must surely be agreed upon however is that they have to suffer untold missery for brutaly raping and coldy murdering a young tourist on holiday. fairly simple, really.

The pair walked smiling from court after the day-long hearing even though it now appears likely they will be executed for their heinous crimes when the court reconvenes on Wednesday.

When asked why they raped and murdered 21-year-old Katherine - who had flown to the island for two weeks of winter sun with her closest friend - Wichai Somkhaoyai and accomplice Bualoi Posit replied that they were drunk.

http://tinyurl.com/7dm72

Phil, just for the record he actually got a life sentance but must serve a minimum of 12 years. But lets hope he is made to do a lot more than that. I'm not a great advocate of the death penalty but in this case i would'nt loose any sleep if he was for the drop. In fact hanging (done properly) would be too quick for a bit of garbage like him. I'd make him serve his life sentance, but in the general population not isolated with the other nonses by rule 43.

Simie.

chuckwoww said:

When asked why they raped and murdered 21-year-old Katherine - who had flown to the island for two weeks of winter sun with her closest friend - Wichai Somkhaoyai and accomplice Bualoi Posit replied that they were drunk.

I ran into this "drunkeness excuses anything" nonsense as far back in the 1970s. For most obnoxious behaviour, it seemed simply saying that "he was drunk" was enough justification. And I had Thai men admit to me that they sometimes got drunk just so they could get away with things they ordinarily wouldn't do!

p.s. I remember reading somewhere that the British Army in the 19th Century used to welcome a new officer by getting him stinking drunk. That was supposed to be a judge of his true character. If an officer remained a gentleman even when drunk, he was regarded as the real thing. If he became violent and obnoxious, he was shunned and had little future in his regiment. Sounds like a good idea to me.

I do recall my wife trying to get me drunk one night when we hadn't been married very long. She said she wanted to see how I would behave when drunk. To her disappointment, she never found out -- since I can drink like a fish without getting drunk. And when I do finally get sh*tfaced, I simply keel over. :(

Katherine's mother says let them live, God bless her. Compare her statements with Thaksin's concern about ... money!

It seems likely that both fisherman will be executed given the personal intervention of Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who called for the "hardest punishment" possible, saying the murder harmed Thailand's image and could damage its tourism industry.

But last night, Katherine's mum Elizabeth said: "I have never be in favour of the death penalty, but I believe life means life. A life sentence would be appropriate. I don't agree with taking anyone's life and Katherine would not believe in that either.

"I don't think that serves any purpose. If they are behind bars until they die, it will stop it happening to anyone else."

Amnesty backs mother on leniency

Published on January 17, 2006

Amnesty International Thailand expressed concern yesterday over the fate of two fishermen accused of raping and killing British student Katherine Horton on Samui Island on January 1.

The group issued a statement lending its support to Elizabeth Horton, the victim?s mother, who has said she does not want to see the murderers of her daughter executed.

The suspects, Wichai SomKhaoyai, 24, and Bualoi Posit, 23, who are due to hear a verdict tomorrow at Surat Thani Court, face death sentences if convicted.

Elizabeth Horton has said she opposes the death penalty.

?I?ve never believed in the death penalty, but I believe life means life. A life sentence would be appropriate,? she was quoted as saying in The News of the World newspaper.

She said that Katherine would have agreed. Horton added that she would like to see the two perpetrators spend the rest of their lives behind bars.

Amnesty International Thailand has praised Elisabeth Horton for her magnanimity and called on Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to learn the virtues of forgiveness from the mother who lost her daughter.

The group also criticised the prime minister, for commenting in public that the murders must be given the maximum punishment, which means the death penalty.

?Elizabeth Horton does not agree with the prime minister,? the group?s statement read. ?Her call for life sentences is conciliatory justice that we hope the prime minister and Thai society will adopt in dealing with the case.?

Katherine Horton was visiting Thailand on a short winter vocation before being scheduled to take her finals at a university in Britain. Her body was found floating in water off Koh Samui. The two men suspected of her rape and murder were arrested a week later.

According to the police, both men have confessed and DNA analyses have also linked them to the crime.

Subhatra Bhumiprabhas

The Nation

Archived