best steakhouse in town?

nutsack

One of the best kept secrets in Bangkok is the Carlton Resturant at the foot of the Sala Daeng BTS station (side opposite Patpong).

Its Kobe Steak is not real Kobe beef, but it is excellent and the last time I was there it was about 300 baht for a good cut of beef, small salad, vegetable, and potato. They charge you extra for bread/roll.

Other good beef values and an extensive Thai/Chinese menu as well.

The only downside depending on your tastes is that they have a small band there that can play a little too loud. Also, the place can get crowded Friday and Saturday nights.

Not in the same class as Neil's or the NY Steak House, but much, much cheaper.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kobe beef is not exported from Japan because domestic demand exceeds supply. The Wagyu cattle are also raised in the USA and Australia. This is where the "Kobe beef" outside of Japan comes from. Some is also imported into Japan and processed through a Japanese butcher becomes Kobe beef.

As a rule of thumb, I have always found Outbacks to have a good steak; USA, Malaysia, BKK, etc.

I will say that I only ate one time at Outbacks here in BKK and the steak was "OK", not as good as I have had in other Outbacks.

There is a small steak house tucked away in the middle of Pat Pong. I don't remember the name, but an adequate steak for about 300 B. The price is about right for the quality.

Usually I wait until I go to Malaysia and then I always get a steak at the Outbacks in KL.

Stickman said:

The Marriott card is about 7000 or 8000 baht? It would pay for itself in a couple of visits to the NY Steakhouse! From memory, the cheapest steak was around 1,200 baht ++?

The card is Bt6,900 and good for a year. The best deal is the half price buffet which works out at 330 per person and the food is decent.

You can use it 8 or 10 times at the steakhouse so yeah it does represent a decent saving.

If you go, make sure you call and book. Not cos its busy but they reserve a table with a hand written card in your name (eg "reserved for Khun Stick") which looks impressive to your guests!

MSB

The Marriott Gold Card is 5900 baht and you can use it at the top BKK JW Narriott restaurants 16 times - from website:

Limited 16 visits in ?New York Steakhouse? and ?Tsu? (JW Marriott Bangkok) and ?Benihana? (Bangkok Marriott Resort & Spa).

The website is http://www.marriottgoldthailand.com/benefits.htm

Lots of other good offers attached to it including all JW properties in Asia/Australia

Archived