anybody using D-SLR in Thailand?

steffi

So I use to own an EOS D30 and loved it but it got sold a long time ago and I've been using an S50 which clearly isn't up to the task of reliably exposing complicated scenes. Recently I've been evaluating (by research) the Dynax 5D (anti-shake does seem appealing), EOS 350 (been out too long I think) and I'd like to also see a *ist DS2 by Pentax before I make my final purchase. Right now I'm leaning towards the 5D though as it's easily available, even up here in Khon Kaen it can be found as can the Nikon D50 , EOS 350 (Rebel-XT).

Anybody gone thru this evaluation lately? I was quite disappointed by the quality of the pictures from my S50 (powershot) from a recent trip up north and I think I want a decent D-SLR as I still have a lot of touring to do.

I use a Nikon D70, SLR, Love it. The steady shot features in Digital Point and shoots is useless in my opinion. An SLR is faster on the shutter (same as a film camera) and hence, fewer shots are lost or blurred. Nikon (my preference) has a few good models across a range of prices...Canon also has similarly priced offerings, all comes down to features. My feeling is, Nikon and Canon are the best on the market, best deal for the money.

The down side is, it is bigger to carry, especially if you use an external flash, and carry extra lenses and a portable hard drive to store the images to...(I do) it can be a pain at times...but I prefer it to the alternative of losing pictures to a slow camera...

a lot of people like Minolta's Anti-Shake in their D-SLRs. It gives you 2-3 stops and allows you to hand hold without using the flash all together. Users believe there's tremendous benefit in having the "IS/AS" functionality in the body rather than the lense itself as it can save a lot of money and folks with existing non IS Minolta glass can get it by using these D-SLRs.

Downside is with the minolta is that the shutter release delay is long and the screen isn't high res. I'd like to compare this to the Pentax *ist DS2 although that model doesn't have anti-shake. EOS 20D is probably the best way to go but I don't want to spend that much money on this hobby right now. Cost me an arm and a leg when I owned the D30 but I've never seen pictures as good since I sold that body.

So then how much do you think the 20D plus 17-85mm USM IS lens costs here in Thailand? I use to own the 105mm zoom lense but it got sold with my camera as did my 550 EX which I think I underpriced at the time :-(

Full Frame does sound interesting I didn't know the 5D was that but it's a pricey beast no doubt.

What glass are you using with your 20D?

Steffi,

I'll repeat my warning about the Lenses! This is the most important part of the camera. After market lenses tend to be weak in many areas. Be advised on that. No sense spending the money on a really good camera, then buying crap glass...just my opinion...

Archived