Which is the Better Newspaper ?

Torneyboy

That "American guy" named Al Dawson ... is a Canuck.

Roger Crutchley is the sports editor. He's a cricket fanatic, which is why there's so much coverage of it. Crutch is getting close to retirement, so they tell me. He's one of the few old timers left around the Post. Been there maybe 25 years or more, as has Dawson.

p.s. The Nation was actually founded to provide a more independent view than the Post, which has pretty much supported whatever government ever since co-founder Alex MacDonald gave up and left Thailand after another of the military coups in the late '50s, I think.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also they have the daily Suduku puzzle to which I have become addicted

Definately the post. Reasonable cryptic crossword (the nation crossword is balls), and yes, the Suduku recently has helped while away a bit of time. Basically keep the outlook section and throw the rest of the paper away...

-j-

Flashermac said:

That "American guy" named Al Dawson ... is a Canuck.

Roger Crutchley is the sports editor. He's a cricket fanatic, which is why there's so much coverage of it. Crutch is getting close to retirement, so they tell me. He's one of the few old timers left around the Post. Been there maybe 25 years or more, as has Dawson.

p.s. The Nation was actually founded to provide a more independent view than the Post, which has pretty much supported whatever government ever since co-founder Alex MacDonald gave up and left Thailand after another of the military coups in the late '50s, I think.

Alan Dawson is also a cross dresser ::

Alan Dawson = Wanda Sloan

:)

josh_ingu said:

Also they have the daily Suduku puzzle to which I have become addicted

Definately the post. Reasonable cryptic crossword (the nation crossword is balls), and yes, the Suduku recently has helped while away a bit of time. Basically keep the outlook section and throw the rest of the paper away...

-j-

Josh,

Eat your heart out here :)

BB

Once upon a time I did a lot of freelancing for the Post. I don't anymore because the pay for freelancers is ridiculous -- about the same now as it was 20 years ago, when money went a helluva lot farther. :(

But even in the States newspapers are relying more on wire services (now internet services). Cheaper than hiring more staff or even using freelancers.

Seriously, I think the Post was a better paper in the past. Nowadays, the Outlook section is just plain boring. As you say, off of the wire stories or the same type of features written by their Thai staff over and over. The thing with freelancing is you have to find something different to write about, or at least find a new angle. Try to find the things their own writers have missed. Roger Crutchley gave me that advice around 1983, and it worked. David Pratt when he did the Sunday section always did great layouts. Crutchley did well at it too. Nowadays, the Post seems to be trying to be a clone of USA Today at times. The Nation often has better coverage, but the layout leaves a lot to be desired.

Archived