In need of some finger pointing

racer55

Greetings all,

So the world of Thailand has changed my life, for both better and worse, and am now opening a small business to lose some money with ::. I am opening an internet cafe and curious on what provider would be the best for my internet access?? Have heard connectivity issues with using TOT, etc.

Can you veteran mongers school this newbie on what would be the best option for a provider in Chiang Mai?

Pats on the back, smirking, and comments such as "another prat down the road" are also all welcome ::

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
keekwai said:

Is the online gamers network going to be a LAN (local area network) or WAN (wide area network/Internet)? If WAN you need to calculate how much bandwidth/throughput you'll be needing to decide whether you just need a standard dsl connection or a leased line.

Is that supposed to be a positive response to the OP or someone nibbling on Acroynms and trying to appear more knowledgable than they think they are?

I bet you kick the tyres (Queens english) when you buy a car.

As to the OP, isn't rather naieve to consider setting up a business based araound an industry where one does not even know where to negotiate the best deal ... if there was serious money to be made out of the Information Superhighway as a farang in Thailand we would have found it out 10 years ago. IMHO the way the industry is going now with all the proposed govermantal controls on what is acceptable. Pleae consider this is a goverment that controls 60% of Radio and Television, The Prime Minister himself has a controlling interest in an "Independant" TV broadcaster, sets up a new channle Goverment TV, then he shuts down the broadcasts of his once friend now his major opposition (Sondhi may talk shite but he gets in Mr T's face :) ). Succesful Net cafes of the future will be nothing more than govermental controlled high street francise of the existing ISP's, (one does not have to leave the upper table of parliment to meet all the major Telecomms shareholders here).

You probably will stand more chance of success opening another beerbar. I have looked into it and realised that the Net Cafes of the 00's are todays equivalent of beerbars in days gone by, nice to dream about, but then you slap yourself, smell the coffee, and pursue an endevour that has more probability of fulfilling ones needs.

Then again, I may be wrong (won't be the first time) and have an over cautious outlook on investments, and miss out on the opportunity of a Fast Buck, but thats me. If I was considering setting up a business of any kind in here it would only be as a secondary income to begin with thereby if it goes tits up you stil have your day job.

I could go on and on, but I shut up now, I am sure you are bored of reading the opinions and thoughts of another blabbering old fool

Greetings,

thanks for the postings all.

Mekong: Sorry to incite a rant and hope your heartburn is subsiding ::. The business is just for fun and something for me and the lady to do. I will invest no serious money into Thailand, I have made my money outside the kingdom and will continue to do so. Nothing against investing serious money into the LOS, just not my cup of tea.

The cafe is something that if it pays its own way and gives the gal some spending money then it has accomplished the goal I set for it. Plus given me a write-off ::

Keekwai: It will be a LAN, and I am just in need of the the most reliable DSL provider. Spotty connection rates are not the way to endear yourself to your patrons obviously.

Thanks everyone is advance for the guidance.

From racer's original post: "I am opening an internet cafe and curious on what provider would be the best for my internet access??"

From racer's 2nd post: "Target market is On-line computer games for the local Thais, and internet access for the tourists."

keekwai response to racer: "Is the online gamers network going to be a LAN (local area network) or WAN (wide area network/Internet)? If WAN you need to calculate how much bandwidth/throughput you'll be needing to decide whether you just need a standard dsl connection or a leased line."

Mekong asks: "Is that supposed to be a positive response to the OP or someone nibbling on Acroynms and trying to appear more knowledgable than they think they are?"

Mekong, you should try reading all the posts and then post when you're sober.

Archived