In need of some finger pointing

racer55

keekwai response to racer: "Is the online gamers network going to be a LAN (local area network) or WAN (wide area network/Internet)? If WAN you need to calculate how much bandwidth/throughput you'll be needing to decide whether you just need a standard dsl connection or a leased line."

Mekong asks: "Is that supposed to be a positive response to the OP or someone nibbling on Acroynms and trying to appear more knowledgable than they think they are?"

Mekong, you should try reading all the posts and then post when you're sober.

A Local Area Network (LAN) is a network of computers that are physically linked together on a single site without the use of telephone lines of any sort. A Wide Area Network (WAN) is a network that has at least two parts separated by a distance requiring the use of a telecommunications infrastructure often supplied by a telephone company / Internet Service provider.

Keekwai, now that I have explained to you what LAN is could you please explain the relevance of LAN in a thread about ONLINE gamers INTERNET cafes and ISP's?

I stand by my statement, you are throwing around Acronyms trying to appear knowledgable on a topic yet you dont actualy know what you are talking about.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

????

Seems that most/many of the local Thai Internet shops are using LAN for their gaming (player vs player) and not using the internet for Online gaming.

Especially this RakOnline game that is so popular around Bangkok.

20 baht / hour is the going rate, so that doesn't bring in much revenue per screen.

Pom M,

I am not denying the fact that many shops use LAN for Player v Player, but the OP's question was about Internet Cafe business and ISP's hence the reason I picked up on the LAN / WAN statement made. LAN does not enter the equation.

Why not mention LCN (Local Control Networks) UCN (Universal Control Networks) Fieldbus or Modbus RTR whilst we are at it, in themselves all a Peer to Peer communications networks and about as relevant to INTERNET as LAN is.

Just had a few streeful days at work and being a Pedantic Twat is my wierd way of unwinding :D

>>>>A Local Area Network (LAN) is a network of computers that are physically linked together on a single site without the use of telephone lines of any sort. A Wide Area Network (WAN) is a network that has at least two parts separated by a distance requiring the use of a telecommunications infrastructure often supplied by a telephone company / Internet Service provider.

Keekwai, now that I have explained to you what LAN is could you please explain the relevance of LAN in a thread about ONLINE gamers INTERNET cafes and ISP's?<<<<

You're joking aren't you. You seem to have a slight grasp of the discussion here judging from your first paragraph. Maybe you're getting confused by "online" which can indicate a connection to other hosts on your local network or a computer connected to the Internet.

The relevance of a LAN consisting of gaming computers in this scenario is they won't be going online (connecting to the Internet) a fact established earlier in this thread had you bothered to read it. If this LAN of gamers were to connect to the Internet there would be a potential for a serious bottleneck depending on the amount of bandwidth or lack of from an ISP.

I don't have a clue as to why you seem so annoyed by my posts and use of acroynms. My posts are so dry, boring and uncontroversial that I often fall asleep just typing them.

here is the problem as I see it,

If you are just doing it for "sport" then you will not really been into the newest fastest computers etc,

Gamers want fast computers and very good monitiors, not that cheap when you only get 20 baht an hour,

Paying back your investment will take a long time , if ever

OC

LAN(ker) WAN(ker) Ohh Funny me ! :D

Sorry guys not getting at anyone in particular and not wishing to inflame the situation but I do get amused when the experts get at it with the handbags, because I am a happy dipshit when it comes to anything past the keyboard. Anyway on racers premise that he is just getting into business to "play at it" Business is far too serious to play. Not taking it seriously is the only sure way to lose money and for me losing ANY money is marks one as a loser. Dont see the point really.

Agreed FB, as I said before pedantic arguments are what helps me unwind, I once argued that black was white and then got run over on the first pedestrian crossing I tried to use.

Please never refer to me as an Expert and Ex is a has been and a Spurt is a Drip under pressure, there are still a few years in me before I take semi-retirement and call in the Consultancy job

As for Racers idea of a part time, this thread could easily be incorported into the "Hobbies" Thread.

Keekwai,

I mean no offence to you, just talking outloud

>>>>And once a LAN is connected to the Inernet via a network gateway it ceases to be a LAN but part of a WAN.

So again, what part do you not understand?<<<<<

This part: "And once a LAN is connected to the Inernet via a network gateway it ceases to be a LAN but part of a WAN."

A LAN is connected to the Internet by a WAN link. The LAN remains a LAN. The original poster is considering two separate LANs, let's say 10 computers in one room for gaming linked by a switch, 10 computers in another room linked together by a switch/router that has a link to a dsl modem and the dsl modem has a WAN link to the Internet via an ISP.

Archived