My new friend asking for a loan,

cpnhowdy

I figure you guys may be able to shed some light on this. I met a girl on ICQ about two months ago. She is a college student and doesn`t work (as far as I know). We write to each other and talk on the phone two or three times a month. Yesterday I call her up and she says she wants to borrow 20,000 baht for her sister to enroll in college. She said her parents didn`t have all the money to do it. She seems like an honest girl (most do) and I have her parents number and her home address. So is this common among Thais? Even the ones not working in the sex trade? Anyone think I`m being conned? She has asked before how much I make. Thanks in advance for any opinions.

cpnhowdy

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a bit much to ask someone you've never actually met for a loan. Then again, Farangs are all rich anyway. (Look at the posters who keep using this argument when it comes to paying for anything in Thailand!) From my own experience, I have found Thais to be invariably honest when borrowing small amounts of money - say a thousand or two. They will repay you promptly and cheerfully. But when it involves a larger amount, it's sort of like ... "Well, I can't really pay back all that, so I'll just forget about it."

If he can spare the money, he can take the chance. But I agree that it should almost be considered a gift. Sounds like she's honest enough. The amount is about right for school.

[ September 02, 2001: Message edited by: Flashermac ]

Are you saying that you have spoken with someone maybe for as total time of maybe less than ten hours, never have met in person and she is already asking YOU for a loan (really a gift)?

Where are the other people who she has known longer in her life to help her? Why would she ask YOU? Start asking yourself some serious critcal questions about why she would be so brazen to ask YOU so quickly for a loan? Would you yourself ask someone for a loan within 10 hours of having communnication contact with?

Please don't become such an easy prey. Unless you want to lend me some money. I am looking at getting a new set of golf clubs. It's for my mental health and make me more of a balanced person in my life.

Come on....Please toughen up! Not meant to be a flame.....just bring some common sen$e to the table and not just your pocket book!

Respectfully,

Cardinalblue

I think you know yourself the answer to this question.

If you want to give it, fine, but you don't seriously expect her to give it back do you? If she's unable to get it her current situation w/o you, how is she going to get it in the future to pay it back? Expecially someone you haven't even met!

The one time I lent money to a thai (a non-working girl) - 5000B for '2 or 3 weeks', I got all kinds of lame excuses for not being able to give it back. 3 months later and I still haven't seen it.

Hi,

of course Stickman and others are right - this type of loan is a gift. This is not even cheating, naming it a loan is to save the face of the TG. Same, same as the BGs are not prostitutes - every man is a boyfriend. laugh.gif" border="0

elef crazy.gif" border="0

I concur with the other posters in this thread - consider the "loan" as a gift. So, you have to ask yourself if you are prepared to give this much money to someone you have known for a short time? Probably not, but the answer to that depends on your relationship with the lady.

I actually don't loan money to friends or family. If a close friend or family ever needed money from me, and if I was inclined to give it to them, I would make in clear (in private, of course), that the money is a gift, not a loan. Essentially, what I am telling them is that my relationship with them is worth more than the amount of money I am giving to them.

JG

Archived