The term Girlfriend

spudsmck

I recently spent 4 nights with a wonderful girl and we have since started to e-mail each other. Met a lot of her girl-friends and she wanted to be known as "my wife in Thailand"!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the "girlfriend" has visited your place a couple of times you will find that her friends start to refer to her as your "wife".

I've also had the experience that you cease being a "boyfriend" when you stop supplying the money.

• 2 weeks later...

Originally posted by Spudsmck:

"I was asking opinions because I read on another post about how the girls call us boyfriends instead of customers and felt a lot of guys are doing the same thing."

For what it is worth, over the last 3/4 years I have found that the girls are now refering to us more as customers than boyfriends.

As one girl said to me in January "..boyfriend send money, if no send money he customer".

I still prefer the idea of us being boyfriends and not customers.

Fatbastard33

• 3 weeks later...

I think the term friend is used pretty loosley in thailand.

I have met ppl introduced as "my friend" by a thai, and later find out is it just someone they have known for a few days or hours.

maybe there are 2 choices when they have to give someone a title. friend or not friend, not friend being someone they dont like.

In the west, someone that is introduced as your friend probably is actually someone you have known for some time, or at least know something about.

in thailand ( bg scene mostly) You hear someone introduced as their sister or brother, but unless you ask if really related or not, it is not clear.

Probably that intro would be closer to real friend than just "my friend"

BTW: anyone go to the little dumpy "my friend" bar recently. It was way up there on the sleeze scale also. very near the century hotel.

All,

A lot of English words seem to be used loosely in Thailand. I think that perhaps the basic reason for this is that most English-speaking Thai's vacabulary is rather limited. The English language has a lot of words with similar meanings, which describe basically the same thing but each word carries a different connotation. People with limited English vacabularies, Thai or otherwise, are forced by necessity to use words in ways that a more literate English speaker would not simply because that't the only word they know for their intended purpose.

I disagree that the use of the family words 'sister' and 'brother' is something seen mostly in the bargirl scene. Many, many Thais in all walks of life refer to their closest friends as their sister or their brother.

Regards, JEff

quote:

Originally posted by pasathai:

I think the term friend is used pretty loosley in thailand.

I have met ppl introduced as "my friend" by a thai, and later find out is it just someone they have known for a few days or hours.

maybe there are 2 choices when they have to give someone a title. friend or not friend, not friend being someone they dont like.

In the west, someone that is introduced as your friend probably is actually someone you have known for some time, or at least know something about.

in thailand ( bg scene mostly) You hear someone introduced as their sister or brother, but unless you ask if really related or not, it is not clear.

Probably that intro would be closer to real friend than just "my friend"

BTW: anyone go to the little dumpy "my friend" bar recently. It was way up there on the sleeze scale also. very near the century hotel.

Archived