Is this the norm in Thailand

Alfmaz

I took a friend to Thailand for the first time we where drinking at A bar called Chang bar 1 Soi 9 Beach road Pattaya. I had a few drinks and he had a few drinks he took a girl I did not . He said they talked $1,000Bhat at the Bar and then she said $ 1,500 Bhat he could not argue with her this happened a second time from this bar. Same thing as above is the norm for Thailand, or is it because it’s slow in Thailand because of what’s going on with the USA. I’m writing this for a friend who is to shy to post his story. He did not tell me this until the other day when we went out for a drink

But he did find a nice girl in Samui who was OK and did not charge over the amount agreed.

I know you can complain to Mamasan but dose this do anything

[ October 06, 2001: Message edited by: Alfmaz ]

You will probably receive the usual quota of replies from posters who will assume that your friend behaved in some way to warrant a renegotiation. Since nothing in your posts indicated that your pal did anything with the girl other than what he had arranged to pay for I'd say that this was just a case (2nd case?) of a guy who seems like a nice guy, aka easy mark, you did say it was his first time in Thailand, and gets taken advantage of.

While this isn't the norm in Thailand, it certainly is not unusal for a b/g to size up a customer and decide that she might be able to pull off a renegotiation. This tactic is a more aggressive variation on the "milk for the baby", "money for the taxi" routine.

Basically, in Thailand it's the same as every where else, a deal is a deal. If your friend and his b/g agreed on 1000B then that's what he should have paid her. I know that sometimes it's just easier to fold under the pressure and give in to the demand for an extra 500 B. I guess she also felt that she knew that about your friend.

Regarding any recourse from complaining to the mamasan, well, it couldn't hurt and it is a good idea just on general principles, but i doubt if it would have gotten the money back, probably not even the bar fine. Sounds like you were in a beer bar and unless you are a really good steady customer losing your business won't be viewed as any big deal.

My advice to your friend would be to try to pick girls who seem to have an easy going personality, besides whatever else his criteria might be. If he can develop a sense of who might be even slightly "jai dee" (good heart) he most likely will not run into this problem again.

Here in america, I had a hooker before tell me she would give some extra service for $50. This was a total of $150. The last filipina hooker I saw her in America charges $250 an hour..not bad as many hookers here charge $400 an hour without a blink of an eye. Maybe I am Richie Rich here or something, but I think you guys are talking about $11 (500 Baht). I think it is just the principal of getting "worked over" that gets us bummed out and makes us feel more like a cheap, stupid trick. Maybe people reading this post may also have suggestions of good places to go and ways to make a deal and keep it. It sounds like you have to repeat to the person twice or three times what the price is before you leave. Maybe whatever you agree on in a taxi, hooker, etc, you should just add another couple hundered Baht above the quote to somehow get in thier dome some kind of dignity and close the deal with some honor/"face". I care more about going to Thailand and having fun than I do about an extra $11 for a hooker. I hear all this crap about Thais into saving face but it does not sound like they always give the same respect they want. Of course, anytime you have sex with someone for money and not love, you have to understand the "nature of the beast". tongue.gif" border="0

Hi,

This had nothing to do with saving face, and the amount is irrelevant (maybe you should think in percentages, she asked for an additional 50%!). A deal was made, both parties had agreed, so in my eyes the girl scammed this guy.

I have had girls try the same. I just laughed it off and when I paid the agreed upon fee, I still receive a hug and a wai with a smile.

Sanuk!

Khun Sanuk is right. Also they probably talked about you giving in the first time with the first girl from the bar. Financial news travels fast amongst the bar network. Just laugh like they told a funny joke and pay as agreed. I had one girl in Patpong Kings Castle 1 after I tipped 100 baht she screamed "pay me 200 baht" I looked at her like she was from Mars and she looked at the ground and smiled and said "okeeey".

Mykal

quote:

Originally posted by RugDoctor:

Here in america, I had a hooker before tell me she would give some extra service for $50. This was a total of $150. The last filipina hooker I saw her in America charges $250 an hour..not bad as many hookers here charge $400 an hour without a blink of an eye. Maybe I am Richie Rich here or something, but I think you guys are talking about $11 (500 Baht). I think it is just the principal of getting "worked over" that gets us bummed out and makes us feel more like a cheap, stupid trick.
tongue.gif" border="0

Wow Rug Doctor,

You have really rung my bell!! I consider myself the board version of the Baht Police!! It is people like you who come over here thinking in back home prices, shower money all over the girls and let them jack you around so you just have your fun. "It's only a couple of hundred baht." This screws things up for everybody else. We are not all big money guys here! Some are scraping by on Social Security, or LOS jobs that pay next to nothing or whatever. In my case I can just barely do what I'm doing which is to try to have the best time possible on a limited income.

You cannot think in terms of US prices here! One girlfreind told me that she worked in construction labor back home. Hard, hot work from 8 - 5 everyday including Sunday. 100 - 120 baht per day! And someone is telling you to give her 1,000 baht or 1,500 baht for laying on her back!!?? That is what is unreal!

I had a good looking girl on beach road offer short time for 300 baht. I had an ugly one offer on the spot service for 100 baht. Just THINK in terms of Thailand when you are here, OK?

Respectfully (although admittedly a little ticked),

Zane May

Archived