San Miguel in Thailand

Zaad

Hello boys,

I've read lots about this Filipino beer and I think it's available in tops supermarket.

I bought one to try it out and must say it tasted pretty good.

But I'm not sure if this is the one people here talked about. Nowhere on the bottle does it state where it's from.

(golden label with black 'san miguel' written on it)

Just would like to know if this is THE Filipino beer.

Abd for others...I suggest to try it out.. very nice.

CHEERS!

:beer:

Well, it's the Filipino beer in the Phillipines, where it normally appears as "Pale Pilsen", "Light", or "Super Dry". Each type has its supporters. What you have sounds like it has some sort of export labelling, so I'm not sure what it would relate to here.

San Mig isn't bad, and it isn't great. Its best attribute is probably its low price. Still better and easier on the constitution that Singha and Chang, IMO. By the way, one rarely sees people drinking it with ice here.

Now Red Horse, that's another story...

San Miguel also comes in a Dark form...they also make Red Horse Malt Liquor...but I digress, San Migeul is also brewed in HKG, and it WAS also brewed in Nepal when I was there last...(2000). I would think it would tell you where it was brewed on the can/bottle. The studff in the PI used to come in a small brown bottle, with a white screened label on it. I liked it.

San Miguel Beer (Thailand) Limited

SMC acquires Thai beer assets - Monday, April 05, 2004

San Miguel Corporation (SMC) signed a definitive Sale and Purchase Agreement recently with Thai Amarit Brewery Ltd. (Thai Amarit) for the purchase of the Thai Amarit assets in Thailand. The acquisition accelerates SMCs entry into the lucrative and highly attractive Thai beer market.

SMC only last month broke ground for a manufacturing complex in the Amata City (Rayong) Industrial Estate in Thailand.

SMC will acquire for around US$102 million Thai Amarits assets, which include a modern and fully equipped brewery on a 21.75-hectare site at the Pathum Thani province in Central Thailand, about 30 kilometers north of Bangkok. The brewery, which employs state-of-the-art technology from Europe, has a capacity of about 1 million hectoliters.

The Pathum Thani site still has around 11 hectares of vacant land available for future expansion. Also included in the deal is Thai Amarits 2.4-hectare property strategically located at the Bang Po area of Metro Bangkok, which has an existing port facility that gives access to the Chao Phraya River. Closing of the transaction is expected within thirty (30) days.

The brewery acquisition shall allow the entry of SMCs own beer brands and provide access to the fast-growing and largest beer market in Southeast Asia.

It likewise offers potential synergy with other SMC projects in Thailand and in the region. San Miguel (Thailand) Co. Ltd., SMCs venture in Thailands Rayong industrial estate, involves manufacturing and distribution of SMCs product lines including beverage products, processed food and snacks, as well as feed mill operations.

The first phase of this venture is the construction of a non-alcoholic beverage facility in SMCs 15-hectare property in the Amata industrial estate which is about 114 kilometers from Bangkok.

SMC considers Thailand as a strategic investment site due to its huge beverage market. Thai per capita beer consumption, for one, is among the highest in Asia.

I think that they also produce the "Blue Ice" brand here in Thailand.

Bangkok Bob

Red Horse This is a strong beer aimed at the lower paid Thai working class drinker. Locally brewed, it is a product of the San Miguel company of The Philippines. Usually sold by street food vendors and supermarkets, unlikely to be seen in any bar or restaurant catering to tourists.

Blue Ice Another beer from San Miguel, Blue Ice is more common than Red Horse, but still rarely seen outside supermarkets etc.

Funnily enough, I bought a bottle of both the regular San Miguel and San Miguel Light at the weekend ( tops have a promotion on the big bottles at the moment )

They taste quite pleasant but dont know about side effects the next day, so will need to try some more just to double check :)

They DO taste different from the Phillipine made versions though.

Archived