Property ownership - lease or right of superficies

Tasman

"Why any farang would want to "purchase" a home is beyond my comprehension. The divorce rate in North America is 50%. Is it different in LOS?"

Yes Divorce rates in Thailand are estimated at about 15% between thai-thai.

Let me guess you are single.

Houses in Bangkok are brilliant. First you can tax deduct the mortgage interest payment, second there is no property tax and they certainly are not making anymore land in Bangkok. Supply and demand. Sure you can put it in the caymans but I know a few guys who told me Cisco and Nortel were great investments years ago. Look at them now. 10% intertest on a stock that dropped from $120 to $16 is still crap either way you look at it. Plus I can live in my house investment.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Houses in Bangkok are brilliant. First you can tax deduct the mortgage interest payment, second there is no property tax and they certainly are not making anymore land in Bangkok. Supply and demand. Sure you can put it in the caymans but I know a few guys who told me Cisco and Nortel were great investments years ago. Look at them now. 10% intertest on a stock that dropped from $120 to $16 is still crap either way you look at it. Plus I can live in my house investment.
If you live here, I agree with most of what you say, particularly the part about living in your house.

But there are so many problems with land ownership here that it does seriously detract from the value of such an investment. Since I do own two condos here and have an ownership interest in property (outside of Bangkok), I have voted with my wallet in favor of your position. But the legal obstacles are so formidible - not just the silly restrictions on foreigners but the problems with title, transparency, etc. - that buying something here is much more daunting than it is in the US.

Hi all, just getting off the house thing for moment here.

Does all this put the place in her name crap apply to an apartment as well? I have a friend hunting for an apartment in BKK and he has to put it in his girlfriends name. So I am just curious if there is a way that he can ensure she can't walk away with the lot later. He won't have a problem with land ownership because it is an apartment obviously, but what about the rest?

Quote:

[color:"red"] "I have a friend hunting for an apartment in BKK and he has to put it in his girlfriends name. So I am just curious if there is a way that he can ensure she can't walk away with the lot later."[color:"black"]

Your friend didn't have to put the apartment in her name. When she leaves, she takes the deposit and anything else she wants. Your friend should started learning the tricks of the trade regarding BGs.

I know several falangs that lease apartments using only there 30 day visa. No WP, no retirement VISA, no nothing. Some places try to get a copy of your WP, but if you do not have one, that seems to be okay also.

I believe there is a law in which apartments are suppose to notify the government of their tenants, but I do not think thst law is enforced very much.

I have a second condo in the lower part of Sukhumvit. Shortly before APEC they required everyone staying in those condos to provide a copy of their passport and current visa to management - these were apparantly turned over to the police. I was told it was because some of the American delegates were staying at the JW Marriott.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully this is not too off topic.

My thai wife (living with me in america) changed her thai passport to my last name. Her Thai ID card is still her maiden name.

When we retire to Thailand, she will be an american citizen with 2 passports (thai/american).

can she still own land - albeit in her name? and which name?

As far as I understand it, a Thai wife of an alien can own property (land) in her married name, but I think her husband needs to sign a non inheritance clause/contract, no doubt someone will clarify this for you.

My wifes Auntie married a Canadian and emigrated with him in the early 70's and last year they retired in Thailand.

They had no problems with house / land purchase even though she has a Canadian passport. Not sure of the non-inheretance clause that Pe7e refers to, but it would not suprise me if this was the case.

One thing that was given consideration was land ownership if the Auntie was to pass away first, and her will is such that if this was the cases her Land passes onto my wife and her brother and sister so that the uncle would not loose his home

Archived