Asking for money - twice

think_too_mut

quote:

Originally posted by luckyfarang:

I value education for it's own sake, but of what real value is an education to a Thai BG?

So what are a rural TG's realistic job opportunities, with or without an education other than prostitution?

1)Low paying, dead end, sweatshop/factory/service type jobs

2)Nepotism. Join the family business, whatever that may be.

3)Entrepreneur. There are plenty of women out there supporting their families by peddling SOM TAM, or noodle soup. Have you noticed how many Isaan taxi drivers there are in BKK? This would certainly be time consuming hard work, but allows a certain degree of pride and independence.

4)Servant/maid. May have to put up with abuse for hard work and low pay

Compare any of these to flirting/dancing/putting out for farang tourists for big bucks and you will find that most BG's are too ambitious or lazy to accept them, and this explains why so many Thais play the lottery with money they can ill afford, and why the overseas job brokers (many of them scam artists) make huge profits.

Another superb post, all very sad but all very true.

I still think there are 2 good reasons for Lazaro and whoever doing what he is doing:

a) It will improve the quality of their own relationship - anything which facilitates better communication is a worthwhile investment. Just giving her something to do, to focus her day around and to help her feel better about herself would also be probable benefits.

B) It they ended up living somewhere other than Thailand then competence in English will undoubtedly improve her chances of getting something half-decent, especially by Thai standards.

It is possible to do an accelerated HS diploma as a kind of 'mature student' but, as luckyfarang says, it really is of questionable value unless the student is committed to going on to university or whatever.

LG

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just been looking for the peices of paper with me and my girls ramblings on it with costs and such. I unfortunatley can't find it but she shared a room with another girl and went halves for everything and it didn't cost more than 3000 between the pair in pattaya *except food*. She sent 1500 baht to child and 1500baht to mama and papa a month. I worked it out in to £ and found i was spending that a day and more in Los. I felt quite ashamed of how much money she earnt and give her a bonus for dek when i left. It's up to her if it goes to dek but i hope so.

mitch laugh.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by Old hippie:

I usually have fun with them, such as, "...funny thing, my parents cow died also, and I am broke from paying for a new one..." .

Brilliant, I love it!

Archived