Extending Non-immigrant type O?

steffi

You have a 90 day Non-Imm O? That's a bit odd, usually they are issued for one year. Are you sure that your visa expires in 90 days, or is it your entry stamp? DO NOT confuse visa with entry stamp. Two totally different things.

If it's your visa, go to Soi Suan Plu and pay your B1900. Pretty painless -- folks there are very helpful IME. However, you may be able to leave the country just before the visa expires and get a new 90 day entry stamp. Not sure on a 90 day visa, but I do this on my 1-year model, effectively making it a 15 month visa.

If it is your entry stamp, then you must leave the country. Be sure you have a re-entry permit if there is still validity on your visa before you do. Re-entry permits can be had at the airport or at Suan Plu.

EDIT: Don't know how to get to Suan Plu? Refer to my post in this old thread.

EDIT2: Of course, if your visa IS expired and you only wany to stay another 30 or so days, you can do a visa run and get a 30 day validity entry stamp, no visa required (I seem to recall that you are a Yank and therefore you can do this). A painless way is to use a visa run service like Jack Golf for B2K all inclusive. You *can* do it yourself for a bit less if you have the time, inclination and patience. Me, I would not. YMMV.

Regards,

SD

PS -- I would not recommend the bus visa run method if you are already in overstay condition. Take a flight somewhere and avoid the coppers at all costs until you get to the airport!

Yes it's my entry stamp that's almost up. So you're saying that I have to leave and re-enter. and you're saying that if I do that before the stamp is up I might get another 90 days on return? My visa has a big "USED" stamped across it from when I first entered the country.

"Be sure you have a re-entry permit if there is still validity on your visa before you do"

What benefit is there in having a re-entry permit?

I do not have much experience with single entry visas. IF the used stamp was not there, you would get another 90 days entry stamp providing the visa was not expired. Now with that used stamp I am not so sure. Maybe not, but maybe yes with a re-entry permit.

If you have a single entry visa that is still valid (i.e., not past its "use by" date), a reentry permit allows you to leave and re-enter the country on that visa. But the used stamp is new to me (I have never had a single entry visa the LoS), tho' may be a normal thing as it is with other countries. Maybe the re-entry permit will "cancel" that.

Check with Suan Plu anyway. They really are quite helpful there as long as you go in with a good attitude. I am thinking that the re-entry permit (B1900) is all you need, then a trip out of the country to get 90 more days.

Or just do the visa run to get the visa-free 30 day stamp as long as you have a passport from a qualifying country (which is pretty much any developed Western country).

Cheers,

SD

Yes, there is some confusion here...How about more info on your visa...O-? I'm O-A which is good for 1 entry 1 year from the date of entry...I have a multiple entry permit which was issued allow 1 year from the date of Issue. It allows you what it says...multiple entries....Now that permit, which is the number you'll list upon reentry as your Visa no longer grants admittance after the first one. cost of Multipel Entry Permit at Immi in BKK about 11 months ago was 3,800 Baht....

Lets the posters know exactly what visa you have O-? is the issue here.

I expect to spend about 2 hours at BKK IOmmi to get my renewal and Permit...BTW there is a nice little coffee shop

across the street as I cannot stand to see all the low life in and ouit of the building. Only perk is seeing people grabbed u p byh the cops whilst trying to fake out the Immi people

My visa is Non-Immigration Type O based on marriage to a Thai citizen. I would have gotten the multiple rentry but when I went to the consulate in a large US city they tried to charge me based on the number of entries I needed with a cost of $50 per entry. So they implied that I had to pay for each entry and that it would be good for only that number of entries. This has pissed me off and I'd like to know how I can formally complain about this practice. To me a multiple entry visa is just that. Multiple entry and fixed price regardless of the #'s of entries during it's validity.

You can also go to Suan Plu and show 400K baht in the bank, marriage registration, etc and get a 1 year extension (from the date you first entered). Get the unlimited re-entry permit and you can come and go for a year, each entry stamp will show a leave by date that is on your extension.

TH

Yeah I kinda like to keep my cash outside of Thailand so it sounds like I must resign myself to a border crossing if I want to stay longer. Do you think there's any benefit to be gained by making the trip to Soi San Plu? For me it's a long way if it's a worthless exercise.

OK, hows about a little logic flowchart:

Well, how long do you plan on staying? More or less than 30 days? If less, then just do the visa run.

If more, then does your visa still have time left (i.e., it is not past the "use by" date). If no, yer screwed and the only option is a visa run -- either do these every 30 days til you go home or get a 60 tourist visa outside the country.

If yes, then go to Suan Plu, get the re-entry permit, leave the country and get another 90 day stamp.

Capishe?

Cheers,

SD

Archived