Windows Vista ~ Launch

unit731

For those who may be thinking of upgrading their Windows 98/2000/ME/XP:

From Smart Computing magzine April 2006.

"Your computer will need at least 512MB of RAM and it will also need a didicated graphics card that supports Microsoft's DirectX 9.0 technology. (and) . . a processor speed of 2.0GHz minimum."

The launch date for pc manufacturers is September/October 2006.

Well,

I downloaded build 5270 (64 bit) and installed it on my computer. It took ages.

And it is slow. Real slow when working with it.

Computer is not the newest on the shelf. Only AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512MB Ram, and only ATI Radeon 9200 video card.

While the video card is quite old I saw nothing within Vista that reminded me of the newest games that demand a up-to-date video card.

Let's see, I can't see me upgrading from XP.

And for companies, many still running on Windows 2000. Refused to update to Windows XP for various reasons:

- Win 2k supported all programs used.

- Win 2k already paid

- Only one OS running on all computers for easier mainenance

- Not all computers were fit running Win XP (even though within minimum requirements)

Even though many computers from back then are already replaced with newer models my guess is that 50% of computers in companies aren't fit for Vista. Plus i can't see the advantages of an upgrade. M$ has to stop support for Win 2k (and will) to boost Vista sales.

Given taht DRM is build into Vista you won't see me upgrading. Not even for free.

Personally I'd like to see Vista a (financial) desaster for M$.

Your point on corporations: It was a similar story with upgrades from NT to 2K/XP, though NT really WAS outmoded (predating windows 95). Most corporates take the view that they will buy the latest when the hardware and application set deems necessary, hence missing a step with upgrades - NT to XP for example.

There may not be as much to Vista in the way of visual change over XP but its tricks are there just under the surface. The Directx9 requirement relates to a fundamental change in the windows graphical UI, though impercievable to the eye! :)

Add to that the obvious tie-in to the OEM PC market and I've no reason to doubt that Vista will be the de-facto standard just as XP is now.

If you dont want to upgrade, don't! Just don't complain about XP's security being as tight as a seive ;)

By the way everyone, don't forget that the 'minimum hardware' is always enough to run JUST windows - so if you want to run any applications (er, yeah) you'd better factor in a gig of memory.

carlton68 said:

Given taht DRM is build into Vista you won't see me upgrading. Not even for free.

Personally I'd like to see Vista a (financial) desaster for M$.

What's the matter with Vista DRM? Does this give MS control over pirated software?

::

From engadget website:

Types of Vista offerings.

"Windows Starter 2007 - Vista without Aero, probably meant for developing nations.

Windows Vista Home Basic - Basic Windows Vista for your single PC fam, doesn't sound like much going on here. Analagous to XP Home.

Windows Vista Home Basic N - European version of the same, but without Media Player (because of antitrust rulings against MS in the EU).

Windows Vista Home Premium - This is the one we're all probably gonna own. It's got Media Center functionality, Cable Card support, the whole home-media shebang.

Windows Vista Business - Think of it as XP Pro, but Vista.

Windows Vista Business N - Think of it as XP Pro, but Vista, but Euro.

Windows Vista Enterprise - Business version of Vista with numerous enterprise features, like Virtual PC, volume encryption, etc.

Windows Vista Ultimate - Love that name. This one does all of the above (and more); what else do you need to know? It's ultimate Windows."

Two days ago I had a talk with an IT manager of a big germany-based multinational. He confirmed that they will update from Win2k to Vista. Older computers that don't match the minimum requirements will have to wait until the lease is over, or will be replaced earlier if the user needs to get the update earlier.

As it was a job interview I didn't ask his opinion about DRM. Anyway it's not relevant in a work environment.

I just upgraded from ME to XP.

They sell - at least here - the full version and an upgrade version. The upgrade being cheaper.

Mine is a Dell 4100. PIII 866 MHz. Enough for XP but not enough for Vista.

XP is so much better.

Yes, it has "holes" and "patches".

But it is far superior to ME. 'Specially when using digital cameras, card readers, downloading music, etc.

Sometime, I may like to try an Apple.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived