Owning a car in Thailand

asiafun

Guest lazyphil

<<Jazz, not much room for 6 footers !>>

my dad has a honda jazz and we're both 6 foot plus and they're remarkably roomy for head and leg room.

MSB, he owned (can it be possible to trans slides onto computer disk?) a beautiful Jaguar with running boards in the early 60's in his singapore/malaya navy days....when cars looked like, well, cars, now its all plastic souless motoring, paying big extra bucks for wood and leather :cussing:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

when we were in linz, austria a while back i saw you could hire a smart car for 1 euro per day, the cars are covered in adverts and you have to drive a certain amount of kms per day, good value!.....perfect for bkk, a bit puny for majestic autobahns and mountain switchbacks!

Stickman said:

Good point, it is the Japanese cars, esepcially Honda and Toyota, that retain their value. Wow, some guy really took a hit on the Volvo.

Almost all European brands suffer that fate in Thailand (with the exception of the BM's and the Bendzes).

That is why you can pick up some fairly well-maintained cars cheap, as most of the previous first owners would have had the means to maintain the car at the dealership, and it probably wouldn't have been the only car in the stable. They're just letting it go to get the latest model...

If you've seen a major prang you'd understand why I would buy a safe, solid car for the about same price (or less) as a new Japanese model.

Choose a reasonably popular model and spares won't really be a problem either. Another plus: you don't have to wait two days just to get your car serviced at a dealership.

Most Japanese cars, including Toyota, score high on reliability. They also have a good dealership network. The Thais like the Japanese cars mainly because they hold their resale value.

I drive a pretty new Altis on a regular basis; they get a bit floaty over 150 kph and the power steering is too light. Not to put the car down, but I'm more comfortable in a European make both from the handling and safety aspects. I can live with a higher maintenance and fuel cost.

I was rear-ended not so long ago by an Altis in stop-go traffic; he probably hit me doing 20kmh or less. There were a couple of scratches on the bumper on my car, but he had the hood, front grille and wing pretty damaged.

Archived