Is anybody waiting for the Nokia N80?

steffi

That would suck if it was that late. It's suppose to be 3rd quarter.

What quad band phones are there now then? Maybe I'll buy an L7 but when I played with a RAZR in the states I thought it sucked. I'm upgrading from a rather reliable Nokia 6600.

Steffi,

you must learn Windows Mobile to be able to use the N80, already my N70 is a small pc with a mobile inside as one of many functions and N80 is worse. Announced price in Sweden 5,500 SEK = 27.000 baht.

Sorry, Steffi, I'm wrong and you're right. nokia.se didn't give the information so I googled and found that the OS was Windows Mobile on a swedish mobile board, now rechecked nokia.com UK page and there it is. But there are Office parts inside but on the other side Office comes in a mac version too.

Well apparently the N80 is available at MBK is small quantities. Specifically some shops have got the balls to put these stolen pieces on display whilst others will quote you a price but won't display them. Apparently Nokia Thailand doesn't want these on the market and have swept thru MBK looking for them. Prices quoted today ranged b/w 34000-38000 thb which is way to much even for this very nice phone. Signs that the units are dodgy are as follows.

1. No box.

2. Vendors don't want them on display. Only found one vendor with the balls to put their units on display.

3. Phone supports Thai language out of the box. Phone says Made in Finland but suppots Thai language which means it was made for the Thai market.

4. Those folks that do have them on display display them without battery for some reason.

Anyway given that Nokia if they can trace these units will probably try to disable them by IEMI then I'd say the price they are asking is much much too high.

Think I may end up with the Razor 3x or perhaps an N70 as folks at MBK say it's two months before the N80 arrives which is way to late for me.

There's no way Nokia or anyone else than the network operators(e.g. by use of white listing as was in use back in the thai days of only in country sold mobiles working with thai sims) in a given country can prevent a phone access to the network with a valid SIM/USIM subscription.

Anyways how about the Sony Ericsson P990 symbian GSM900/1800/1900/WCDMA2100 smart phone - looks interesting & should be available shortly if not already?

SE P990i / P990c (china)

Archived