Is anybody waiting for the Nokia N80?

steffi

Not before this, but it looks cool. And then I would not have to carry multiple phones: only this one for everywhere including Japan! Dee mak!

Except Korea. I still need to buy a cheapie CDMA for my infrequent trips to kimchee-land (or just use the rental provided by AIS).

Cheers,

SD

Mekong, do you have the O2Atom? If so, would you mind posting a review? I know a couple of guys looking at those (including Pom Michael). One bitch I and others had on the O2Mini was the sound quality (sounded like a pair of tin cans connected with a string). Is this one better in that regard?

I have the Samsung D500 now and it works well everywhere but Japan and Korea. But I spend enough time in the LotRS where the dual mode (GSM & WCDMA) is desirable, especially considering the brick of a phone that DoCoMo rents me (to use my Thai SIM card there). Fucker's bigger than my fist and weighs almost a kilo, it seems!

Cheers,

SD

Suadum, Pom Michael and anyone else interested.

I changed from the Mini to the Atom about 4 weeks ago now, I wanted one earlier but due to all the reported teething problems they initialy had with applications hanging, I held back until they had got is sorted. The last ROM Upgrade "B1WWE" seems to have ironed out all the wrinkles.

Sound quality is still an issue, although an improvement over the Mini nowhere as much so to make one feel that O2 have overcome that problem. But for me sound quality was not a major requirement, for music I have the I-Pod ditto for alarm clock, as far as ring volume goes most of the time I use the Bluetooth Headset ... you can't really utilise it as a PDA if its stuck to the side of your head can you.

Same goes for the camera / video functions, the 2 Meg is better than the 1 Meg of the Mini, ok for snapshots and not a lot more, but then again if I want to take good pictures I take my Camera with me

Windows Mobile is a major improvement on Mobile 2003, not so much as in stability but more in its slicker interface with the user, it feels more like XP whereas 2003 was more like 95 in its structured approach. Simple things, if you make a "Note" during a call, either handwritten or Voice Record, upon completion of call you can retrieve either by callers name, date and time as well as the good old fashioned "Lets Look For It" method required with 2003. When I got the Atom, my wife who defines herself as a "user only" as far as computers go, inhereted the Mini, even though she is getting the hang of it slowly when she has a play on mine finds it a lot easier.

Up to this point it is just an upgraded Mini for silly old fools suffering from Altzeimers and cant remember where they store files.

WiFi This it what takes this to the next level. Lets not forget it was only probably 2-3 years ago when only the top of the range laptops came with wifi, the PCMCIA wifi card was the must have gizmo for the modern day with the ever expanding network of "HotSpots", but how things have moved on.

Although I use the wireless network principaly in the work enviroment, its good fun in social enviroment also. I was playing about / demonstrating it to a friend the other night in a place with wifi, and he was amazed how this device smaller than a ciggarette package, take a Photo, Connect to the Internet, upload the Photo and have it online within 2 minutes (he was checking on his laptop)

At the end of the day it all comes down to ones own requirements, and for me the Atom fulfils my needs since Tri-Band covers me 95% of the time. One thing that may be O2 / WM5 favour is that they have demonstrated that wifi is stable with the system, based on microscums experience of it. With Nokia / Symbiam pairing it is the first for both of them. Rumour has it is that the Atom which is only available is SE Asia / Austrilasia at present will be marketed globaly by HP by Q3 of 2006 and that in itself must say something.

Overall I am very impressed with it doing the things I want it to do. The only other person I tlak to a lot who also has one changed his XDAii for one, and he is also just as impressed.

PS if you ever see some dude in Irish X-Change over a weekend, posting on this board on an Atom, come and say hi to me.

OK back on track .. this thread is about N80 not Windows Mobile phones. I own/use a Mac so I have no interest in Windows Mobile. Has the N80 arrived at MBK yet? what about the new Moto phones.. L7 SLVR quad band and the RAZR V3i etc.

Archived