bliao? blee-yow

aesthete

okay, so at almost every small sidewalk resteraunt/foodstall or whatever in thailand is this spicy and sour sauce that was called "blee yow" and when I asked how to spell it in english, one waitress wrote down "bliao" in my notebook.

I want to either make it, or buy it here in the states, I liked it a lot and want to toy around with it some. google searches have netted me nothing. any advice?

also, while I'm asking for recipes, there is a dish (I think from Isaan) called Lob or Laub or Lorb or something like that, a spicy pork dish, another one i'd enjoy a recipe for.

The sauce ringfs no bells, but I sam drunk so there.

Larb, is a great dish. Here is a good recipe. Substitute any minced/ground meat for the chicken if you like. Turkey is especially yummy IMHO (and Mrs Tiger's too, but she's Bangkokian, so YMMV with your lady):

This is one of our all-time favorite Thai dishes, and it is a very common dish served throughout Thailand as well as Laos. Larb is an easy, quick to make "spicy" dish (it can be, and often is fire hot). It can be found on Thai restaurant menus in America as "<meat> salad Thai style", which might be the best description for this dish.

Ingredients

2-3 tablespoons lime juice

2-3 tablespoons chicken stock

2-3 tablespoons fish sauce

4-6 teaspoons chopped fresh chilis (not to be substituted with "chilli powder" as sold in western supermarkets!)

1 tablespoon khao koor (ground toasted rice--see below)

3-4 shallots (small purple or red onions) chopped

half a stalk of lemongrass very thinly sliced

3 kaffir lime leaves, shredded

1-2 spring onions (scallions), thinly sliced

1 teaspoon powdered galangal

4 ounces of chicken

sugar to taste

Khao Koor: get a medium sized wok fairly hot, and add a couple of tablespoons of uncooked jasmine rice. Keep in movement until the rice starts to turn golden brown. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Grind to a fairly coarse powder in a spice mill, or a mortar and pestle, or a pepper mill or a good clean coffee grinder (all of these work well but keep in mind that a coffee grinder tends to grind too fine--the powder should retain some "texture").

Garnish

lettuce, parlsey, sliced raddish and turnip, coriander leaves.

Method

Line a serving dish with the lettuce leaves. Chop the chicken to make it similar consistency as ground beef (can be done in a food processor or with two cleavers). In a fairly high wok with a very small amount of oil, stir fry the chicken until it just starts to turn whitish, then add all the remaining ingredients (if using precooked meat, simply add everything to a hot wok together), and stir until heated through and the chicken is cooked.

Serve on the bed of lettuce leaves and garnish to taste. Serve with steamed sticky rice (if you prefer you can use Thai jasmine rice) and a dish of mixed [raw] fresh vegetables, and the usual Thai table condiments.

The usual way to eat this is to take a small ball of sticky rice in the fingers and use it to pick up a little larb, then eat it with the raw veggies. You can also use a fork and spoon as a lot of Thais do.

Cheers,

SD

pbliao merely means sour.. or on the rocks depending on the circumstances :) so that won`t help you much.

Mayby that would be Narm Phrik Manoaw?

Spicy lemon sauce?

Larp is indeed an isan dish, but that includes any variety of chopped meat, just avoid the Larp Nuea Dip, chopped raw beef or you may suffer from that as I did :(

cheers

Hua Nguu

Double Post deleted by Pom Michael

(But while I'm here to delete the double post - your description (below) is exactly the Vinegar with small sliced chilis as part of the four seasonings that you find with many Thai noddle dishes. The others are sugar, dried peppers and fish sauce - but variations are widely seen depending on the type of place).

thanks for all the replies everyone!

If it's a vinegar, it's different than what i'm used to here. (I'm a U.S. southerner and mainly use apple cider vinegar) but it didn't taste like malt or white vinegar either. sour though, could have had vinegar in it with other stuff? maybe i was just off my ability to taste it.

It's on the table at damn near every sidewalk cafe i saw, most also had a more spicy not sour sauce with more peppers.

the peppers were often orange, if i recall. would've been the right size for small chilis though

Try googling for priao or something like that. Means sour, as in "priao-wan" sweet and sour (chicken or whatever).

Lao -- spoken in Issan, though you'd better not try to tell them they are Lao! -- has no "R" sound in it. In words which have an "R" in Thai, it is usually an "L" or even an "H" sound in Lao.

e.g.

RAHK (love) = HAHK in Lao

RIAN (study) = HIAN in Lao

MAI ROO (f*ck if I know) = BAW HOO in Lao

• 1 month later...

Archived