Which Windows XP?

Does anyone have a link to a site that compares the various editions of XP, like x64, Media Centre and just plain XP Pro?

I am putting together an Asus A8N-E with an Athalon 64 processor (not FX or X2, but maybe upgrade to that later) and a N6600/TD 256Mb video card. I use CAD and CAE software and play some games, but not too often. Do I want to use the x64 Edition? What will it do for me that the others will not? Is it as stable as XP Pro?

I like to use my PC to play my music (I got rid of all my music CDs) and sometimes use to play torrents on my TV. What will Media Centre Edition do for me that the others will not? Is it as stable as XP Pro?

Thanks,

SD

Hi,

I can't recommend Windows XP x64 version. I had drivers missing for some hardware and manufacturers told me they won't release drivers as they will concentrate on Vista and release the 64bit drivers for Vista. Additional lots of software doesn't support Windows XP x64 version, like backup tools, antivirus and firewalls.

There is software, but not that much selection as with 32Bit. Again software makers wait for Vista. For me Windows XP x64 version is too much trouble wit almost no benefit. I have an Athlon 64 3000+ but still run XP pro.

Can't comment on Media Center Edition, never saw it.

SD, I had basically your configuration (Asus MoBo , AMD Athlon FX 3200+ ) about a year ago, and I tried out XP X64 at that time. I could find most the drivers, so that probably wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Most apps ran. Pinnacle Studio install did not. I've since read that you CAN install it if you keep on hitting 'ignore' on the install errors. I also read it's because the install program (Pixie) is 16 bit code.

But you really won't get a performance boost yet. I THINK XP can only directly use 3 GB RAM. X64 would get you more. But you probably don't need that at this point anyway.

Vista has 64 bit support built in, so I assume more companies will be writing 64 bit enabled apps later this year/next year.

Bottom line is that x64 won't get you much now. And it may create problem with non-popular HW for which you can't get drivers.

Hardware I got no drivers for Win XP x64 version:

- Technisat Skystar2, budget PCI card for DVB-S (digital TV via satellite)

- Terratec Terracam USB (webcam)

- USB scanner from Artec (sold as Tevion via ALDI, a discounter)

- ASUS Wifi-g Wlan card. Ralink, the maker of the Wlan-chip had drivers, but they didn't work.

- USB-data-cable for my Siemens C60 mobile. Neither Siemens nor Prolific (the maker of the chip) had drivers.

This is popular hardware. Especially peripherals were not supported. I contacted some of the makers and they promised drivers for Vista, but sorry - not for XP x64.

I didn't try Raid configurations with the harddisks.

Btw, a short check with google brought up this site: Compare

and this

I can only speak of my experience and my equipment. I usually stick to a few manufacturers who I think (IMHO) give decent support.

For example, my scanners are Epsons. One is a 4990 Photo and the other is built into my RX700 printer. I think you'll find lots of x64 drivers from Epson.

Video card, NVidia. Same... lots of x64 drivers.

Lots of stuff on MoBo, such as 1394, USB, etc. Standard chipsets, the drivers came with XP64.

In my case, there was only one or 2 drivers that I couldn't find.

If someone wants to try XP64, I suggest they try to find the drivers first, before they install. Then they ID any potential problems. That's what I did.

Archived