Chatuchak Weekend Market

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I am in BKK I am at Talad JJ every Saturday morning EARLY...rain or shine. Take the BTS and get off at Saphan Kwai or Mor chit and wander. I meet vendors from outside BKK and have dealt there since many of the dealers moved from the old thieves market.There is everything and I mean everything at JJ.PLUS sometimes one can meet a sweetie...The eye candy is more down to earth than Emporium but quite substantial... :) :) ::

Guest lazyphil

Make sure you locate the public toilets before you venture into the abyss of the market and remember them well, i've touched cloth there before and its no fun ::

Hot , crowded , HOT ,

Drink a lot of water

its the last stop on the Skytrain, and a stop on the subway (never took the Subway there)

there are sections of clothing etc and there is a map

And yes find the bathrooms

OHH and if you are going with others figure out a place to meet when you get seperated , because you probably will

Its fun once or twice but I could not see going every weekend ,

OC

The place is too huge, too crowded, too hot.

Wear shorts. Wear sneakers.

Tuck a couple of pah yen (cool washcloths) in your cargo pocket.

Watch your money, watch your wallet, watch your gold.

Remember that whatever you buy, you have to carry out of there, unless you can coordinate with the seller to deliver to your residence (which will cost more).

I usually end up buying stuff that I simply have to have, then ask the proprietors to hold it for me. Then, I backtrack on my way out, pick everything up at each vendor, and make it out to the street, where I get a Tuk Tuk. This is about the only time that I ever use a Tuk Tuk in Bangkok. For once, it makes sense. You can carry a lot of stuff in them.

Most important don't accept the price, exTW always complains if I pay more than one third of the price. I've never been so lucky to come down lower than 50 % - if you want something really cheap ask you TGF to buy and let her go there alone.

Also find the restaurants, good food and cheap.

If you stay in Pattaya take the bus directly to Morchit as it's the other side of the market - it was just after some visits I found out that.

DO NOT GO WITH A GF!

Way too many womens clothes shops to risk taking a GF. If you are not being parted from your hard earned cash every 2 minutes you have a constant verbal of "honey, you like this? What about red? BLue? Green?"

This for me is the best market i have ever seen.

And if you like sporting dogs, they have some fine breeds (for LOS). A few American Pits, a few English Bull Terriers, lots of Rotties.

Archived