Vegemite

Fatbastard

I love Vegemite, my kids love the black stuff, I usually buy a couple of 1kg jars on my vists to OZ to keep us going but this time run out. I see it at Villa, Fluck me! 265 baht for a 235gm jar, now I'm not a mean bastard as the girls at Jungle Jims will testify BUT I hate someone taking the piss. I was then happy to find the same product, same size at Food Glorious food (soi 71) at 170 baht, much more reasonable.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fatbastard said:

I love Vegemite, my kids love the black stuff, I usually buy a couple of 1kg jars on my vists to OZ to keep us going but this time run out.

You have run out of a couple of 1kg jars??? And I thought that my twice yearly purchase of a 175g jar was excessive...you must spread it on thick! And use lots of butter, too! Your cardioligist must be impressed!...

BTW, am secretly developing a purpose-designed vegemite jar scraper that will allow every last micron of vegemite to be retrieved from the container, there's nothing more traumatic than having three bits of toast ready and only being able to get at enough vegemite in the jar for one piece.:banghead::beer:

<< Vegemite is made from leftover brewers' yeast extract, a by-product of beer manufacture, and various vegetable and spice additives. The taste is difficult to describe but is extremely salty and slightly bitter, and as might be expected, malty. >>

Well, that explains why it was invented in Oz ... :beer:

<< While highly popular in Australia and New Zealand, it has never been successfully marketed elsewhere. It is notorious for the dislike it generates amongst some foreigners. Vegemite is not liked by all Australians - some find it far too salty to be palatable - but it remains an iconic symbol of Australia. >>

Yup. :)

<< Vegemite's rise to popularity was helped by marketing campaigns in the 1940s, using groups of smiling, attractive healthy children singing a catchy jingle entitled "We're happy little Vegemites". >>

That sounds decidedly suspicious ...

<< The brand is now owned by Kraft Foods, an American multinational that is part of the Altria Group of companies. >>

So there! ::

That other brown stuff

Most of my Aussie clients turn their nose up at the idea of peanut butter and jelly until I explain to them that "jelly" for us is like jam. Most of them are envisioning us smearing Jell-O (gelatin) on bread. Now thats something I've got to try!

Archived