Antique Motorbikes

Nervous_Dog

I read in the Post on Monday a long article about a bloke who restores and sells old motorbikes, of all flavours.

I searched FOREVER on their web site, but I can't find the article or link, maybe someone else will have better luck or a copy of Monday's Bangkok Post,

Sorry I couldn;t be more helpful, but I know many here are interested in these machines

DOG

• 3 weeks later...

ND.

I didn't read the bangkok post article but there are a few shops around restoring old bikes. They ask big money for them tho'. Just looking thru Motocy.com Advertised are a Triumph Thunderbird for 325,000 baht and a Ariel Huntmaster 650 for 265,000 Neither look to be restored yet.

http://www.mocyc.com/store/detail.php?id=78607

In Thailand because of the small market size for old machinery they tend to have unrealistic price expections. The women next door to me in Thonglor had a MGB GT rusting away in her garage, she wanted around a million baht for it and it was in a very sad state. In OZ you would maybe get 4,000 Dollars in that cond if you were lucky.

• 1 month later...

Vsm612/20-22/ BSA A7 500 twin 1960?s the only one in Thailand complete with all paperwork caring owner required for this old lady 250,000 baht o.n.o. Call Steve 09 540 7776

Ad from the Pattaya Mail if anyone is interested.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a guy in Phuket Town who had 10 or so immaculate honda dream 90's. Not the new scooter version, the old four stoke 1960's - 1970's version. They were really nice, covered in chrome, and he took great pride in showing up to the bars on them.

His name was Chris, a great guy, english or austrailian [i'm american and sometimes cannot tell]. He used to hang out at a bar called O'Malleys in Phuket Town. The owner is a guy named fred and perhaps he can put you in contact with Chris. Whoever was working on his bikes was doing a killer restoration job. he wasn't 'made' of money so I assume he was getting a good deal. Perhaps you can gain contact to chris and get some info, or buy one of his bikes.

There are some deals to be found on some old Japanese bikes. parts are still readily available and labor is cheap by any western standards. First find a custom shop that has turned out some nice product. Then keep a look out for an old bike that is still in working condition and make an offer.

get things done step by step. First get the bike running in tip top shape, then replace any parts that have cosmetic damage, then rechrome everything. I would rather have a 1960's honda than a 1960's Indian, harley, BSC, or triumph. There are people in thailand who are using their 1960's bike every day as a mode of transport, work vehicle, etc so finding parts or a mechanic to work on your 'showpiece' will be much less expensive. Just my preference, no disrespect to other makes and models.

Archived