Marriage !!

quote:

Originally posted by Munroe:

frown.gif" border="0
By sending these girls money we only open up a whole padora's box of what inadvertantly becomes a game of deceit on their part , but it's our fault for being so naive !
smile.gif" border="0

The offer of marriage is highly unlikely to be any reflection on her emotional feelings for you. Having decided you are quite a nice bloke, foremost on her mind now is the financial welfare of her family. Marriage is an (easy) option for her to fulfil this need. She is basically offering to put up with you for the rest of her life in order to take care of her family. I think a polite NO is required. "Working girl" or otherwise, Thais living in tourist areas are easily swept into the viewpoint of farang=dollar having seen the luxuries afforded by fellow Thais in these areas. By sending her money you have simply put fuel on this fire. There are millions of other Thais out there who survive on hard work, frugal spending and determination without this (in essence greedy and lazy) income alternative.

[ February 24, 2002: Message edited by: Khun Sanuk ]

frown.gif" border="0 No more money ! This board is great ! Having read alot of all the different topics on this board I've come back down to earth and realize that giving money once is more than sufficient ! By sending these girls money we only open up a whole padora's box of what inadvertantly becomes a game of deceit on their part , but it's our fault for being so naive ! I guess we want to believe that it's doing them some good when in reality it probably is keeping them from pursuing real growth oriented endeavors like getting an education or improving their skills for whatever their future hopes may be ? Once again I want to say thanks for all the wisdom I've gleaned from most of you well travelled dogs ! Be Happy !! smile.gif" border="0

Archived