Marriage Affidavit

chuck6660

I am arriving in BKK next week and plan on going to the US Embassy to get a Marriage Affidavit (the form saying I am not married). My fiance and I plan on getting married this trip (if time permits) or next trip in a couiple of months. My question to the experienced patrons of this site is: How long is the affidavit good for? Can I get the Affidavit and translation this trip and register at the Amphur on our next trip? :elephant:

You get the affidavit on the spot at the Embassy American Citizen Services (ACS) Section. Not sure for how long it is valid.

Toneyboy is correct in that the registering-the-marriage procedure is painless. and only takes an hour or so if you have all the docs already. As far as I recall, needed is your passport, the affidavit, any divorce docs, (all translated into Thai), her ID and her house papers. This assumes you are both over 20, otherwise you need parent's permission or presence, too. If either party is under 17, or divorced for less than a year, then they cannot get married. I do not recall getting a police check for marriage, but that was a long time ago for me.

Now if you want to impress her with your romanticism, go to the Bang Rak district office in Bangkok to register your marriage. Don't speak Thai or don't get it? Bang Rak means "Village of Love" in Thai! Awwww, isn't that sweet :p

And pragmatically, that district office does a fair amount of marriages, so it is quite streamlined...even many moons ago when I got hitched.

Cheers,

SD

Hi SD,

I've seen the complete law one time 2001 and there're some exceptions stating a lower age for a thai (girl?) for some groups - for hill-tribe and muslims I think, but not sure. Maybe I've a copy...

A police check is not required to marry in Thailand, but is required if you want a K-3 (marriage) visa to the US. I suggest you get to the US Embassy early if you want to complete the process in one day. Embassy, translation of the papers from the embassy, a trip to the Thai Foreign Ministry, and then to the Ampur. Good luck!

Chuck,

I did not notice any expiration dates on the affadavit, so I would not worry about that (famous last words). After you get the affadative, just take it down the street for the translation. When you do this, they will ask what your name is. Be careful here and make sure that they hear what you say. Make them repete it until it sounds like your name. I did not do this an now my wife and I have different last names.

The foreign ministry might take a bunch of time. Ours took so long that we went down to the river caught a small boad and found a place to eat on a canal. When we got back they were still working on it. First they said 'come back tomorrow' but as my wife was fearful that I would back out, she made sure they got it done that day. We did not pay a bribe, but it sure seemed like we were going to when we went back to see the head guy there.

I think if you don't get married on this trip that I would do the above now, just to get it out of the way. From this point on its just a matter of going to the ampurs office.

Like saudam mentioned above, I was married at the Ban Rak office in Bangkok. Every thing was smooth except they did ask where the translator was. It turned out he was in my wallet, and once in the hands of the amphur official, the paperwork was knocked out quickly. As I have only been married here, Bang Rak, I'm not sure of other places , but the marriage certificate is really nice, with hearts and flowers along the border. I framed mine and its now hangking on the wall.

Good luck.

Fudgy,

Thanks for the info, it was a great help.

We head to the airport in 3 hours and will probably do as you recommended...at least get the affidavit and translation out of the way. Good to know that I can carry the translator in my "back pocket"...it's amazing what you can carry in your "back pocket" in BKK.

:elephant:

Archived