Bangkok Restaurants and Beer

Kite_Flyer

This may be an unwarranted bitch but it's something that aggravates me and I want to get it off my chest.

What really pisses me off about about a number of otherwise great restaurants in Bangkok is the limited selection of beers. Specifically, a choice between Singha or Heineken. In my opinion these are two of the worst beers available in Bangkok and to arrive at a restaurant to find that the food is great, service is good and the beer girls are gorgeous but all they serve is Singha or Heineken annoys the crap out of me and takes the edge off the night's activities. Why can't they offer Kloster or Chang or Tiger as well? There's not exactly a shortage of these products in Thailand.

Fortunately there are plenty of restaurants with great food where I don't have this problem but it's always a risk when trying a new place.

Still, could be worse. Could be a choice between Fosters or VB ::

My first choice is Chang (so I must be an alcoholic :: ), second Heiniken and third Singha. Tiger is acceptable but hardly more, Kloster is not IMO.

The reason for that many restaurants and bars don't like to sell Chang is that as it cheaper they don't make so money on them and also as it's stronger maybe the customer just drink 2 cheap Chang instead of 3 expensive Heineken or Singha.

The Singha or Heineken is something that used to be common in restaurants years ago because that's basically all there was. I really don't notice this much anymore and the variety just keeps getting better. Singha was the #1 for a long time, then Chang instantly stormed to #1 due to its cheapness (3 big bottles for 100 baht, no brainer). I'm curious what the market shares are now that others are on the rise like Leo and Tiger.

Archived