Schooling costs for Thai teenager in Buriram area?

FredBloggs

My tgfs nephew wants to transfer from the school in the village to a school in a mid sized town about 40kms south of Buriram and stay in tgfs house with her sisters kids etc.

He is about 15 and a nice enough lad but sadly a product of unhappy parents so has not had a great education.

He took an entrance test for the thai school in the town and sadly failed it........but my tgf has said that her sister has met with one of the local teachers and an entrance fee for the year could be paid for the lad .........and guess whos paying??

The fee appears to be a bribe but not sure, anyway the fee is 5000baht for a year, which apparently needs to be paid immediately since the term starts tomorrow and on top of that a further 5000baht is needed to buy the uniforms and requisite supplies from the school direct, also payable now.

Well I have baulked a little at these figures and the total amount payable of 10000baht, but of course I am assured it is correct by my girl who is living in the town.

So folks do these figures ring true for a 15year old Thai lad to pay to go to a Thai school in a small town in Buriram province instead of the school in the back of beyond village?

I have been to the town etc and am expected to return within the month so unlikely to be total bullshit but maybe,or a little poetic licence is being used on the figures??

Any thoughts much appreciated but I guess its off to Western union again and that bloody exchange rate keeps dropping!

FB

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Not really sure why people are bringing up the costs for private or International schools. I think this is hardly what Fred is referring to.

I'll have to ask my wife, but she just paid for her daugther (BKK public school), but I do not think she paid that much. Uniforms, bag and supplies were maybe about 2-3K.

I also seem to recall the teacher upcountry telling me once that it costs about 500 Baht to pay for the education of 1 kid for a year.

Sanuk!

Fred,

My 13 yo daughter goes to the best school in Surin, which is a large city for the are here. It costs around 30,000 bt total. This school has all the top Surin students (and the not so good students of families who pay more to get their kids in the school just for the bragging rights). There is a real brawl every year to get the kids in this school. So 10K is not that bad really, and about right I suspect, although some of this may be a bribe for the head of the school. Since he failed the entrance exam I suspect that is so.

Cent

Archived