British Embassy - gone !

MadStockBroker

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope - nbot for a looooong time, last gurkas officially in Sillypore was in the late 70's.

I remember there being a bit uproar as the British government had offered them full UK pension during the war, and again during the malaya conflict. Was resinded!

Special Foreces in Sillypore are all sillyporians, 1 is a mate of mine, looks like a clerk! Is sales guy, and still after leaving the army he goes back every year for training as par tof the rules and regulations!

DOGF

There is some sort of arrangement the Indian government insisted on that Gurkhas in the British forces cannot be paid more than those who join the Indian Army. As a result, the Gurkhas are screwed on their pay. But it apparently is still enough that plenty want to join the British Army for the pension. It is also still considered an honour to do so -- and many more try to enlist than can get in.

<<It is also still considered an honour to do so -- and many more try to enlist than can get in. >>

Sadly this is a myth long gone, to join the British forces you have to be British, by definition, Gurkas where from Nepal, some may have been from India high areas as well.

AS a rule they are quite short, and would prob fail Brit Army requirments these days.

DOG

FARK - I am WRONG!!!!

http://www.army.mod.uk/brigade_of_gurkhas/

Dog

From the site you linked:

"This improvement is the very welcome outcome of our comprehensive review of Gurkha Married Accompanied Service. I am delighted that all Gurkhas who are entitled will be able to enjoy the full benefits of accompanied service, just as entitled service personnel in the wider Army do at present. The Government of Nepal has been kept informed of changes to Gurkhas terms and conditions of service, and has welcomed this enhancement to its citizens married accompanied service."

If you have to be British, then why is the Govmt of Nepal being informed???

Wackypedia:

"After Indian independence - and partition - in 1947 and under the Tripartite Agreement, six Gurkha regiments joined the post-independence India Army. Four Gurkha regiments joined the British Army.

"The principal aim of Tri-Partite Agreement has been that no Gurkha serving under the Crown may be paid more than what India pays its own. Unfortunately, India's per capita income is 100% less than British per capita income, which means the Gurkha must return to Nepal and receive only one/hundreth part of what he would have received had that clause not been there." Gurkha history

Archived