Laptop Power Flicks Off On Off

gawguy

Has anyone experienced this? I have it on two laptops. Power goes off for no reason when plugged in. Have to have battery in or it goes off. I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 that just started flicking power on off every few seconds. I can use it, but I don't like to keep the battery in all the time.

Thanks,

GG

Can't help you GG but would be interested to know if you think that removing the battery prolongs battery life. It's dangerous in the country where the power goes on and off regularly and you have two or three pages of unsaved document on the screen. I would be interested if any one knows a way of retrieving this.

Not sure about "Flickering Power"

Dog there is an excellent Freeware called Notebook Hardware Control NHC_1.10 which allows you to "Tune" your CPU Voltage Levels Lower the Voltage, Slower the CPU Speed, Cooler it runs, if I get Hi Tempersture warning (95C) I just step down to 10 X Multiplier = Voltage of 1.196v .

I also have mine set to go down to 6 X Multiplier (0.988v) when running on battery only, CPU runs at 800 Mhz but battery lasts about 40% longer, I find 800 Mhz plenty for surfing the net

A battery will wear out in two basic ways: useage and time.

A new battery, never used, will wear out over time. There are other variables such as heat, moisture, etc.

I would keep battery in.

There are surge protectors that have a built in battery.

Also, you may have a problem with amps, volts, watts, peak demand, load, capacity, etc.

8100's pretty old. I've had to have my 8200 repaired a couple of times for the same reason. Either the adaptor or the little power socket inside that it connects to will have to be replaced. If it's anything like mine, you'll soon find you have to hold the power cable in at just the right angle more and more and soon it won't work at all.

• 3 weeks later...

I had that problem with my HP. If I wiggled the power connector it would sometimes help.... Personally I would try using a UPS and see if that works...If you know some one that has one ask if you could use it for a few hours. Computers are very sensitive to power fluctuations and a UPS will help smooth out the power fluctuations.

Archived