Motorcycle importation

Old Hippie

You know, OH, the last time I talked to the lady at the LA consulate (it took many, many tires to get through), she said something like "its only me here...". So I suspect that there is only one dear lady in the office to handle all of the contact with us regular people, and she is evidently over-worked. Don't expect a detailed reply very soon.

There are plenty of apparently good deals to be had on used motorcycles in this country.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OH, talk to some of the Jesters members. I know some have shipped their harleys over. They would have first hand know how. Plus there is a Harley dealer now in BKK. YEA HA. I have name and number some where in my truck. Talked to a couple of club memebers in BKK at Dynstay hotel last month when I was there. Hope it helps some.

Example Calculation of Taxes and Duties

The following example shows a breakdown of the liable taxes and duties assessed on the vehicles less than 2400 c.c. cylinder capacity with a CIF value of 1,000,000 Baht.

CIF value of the imported vehicle and applicable taxes and duties are as follows:

* CIF value of the import

= 1,000,000 Baht

* Import duty

= 80 %

* Excise tax

= 35 %

* Interior tax

= 10 % of excise tax

* VAT

= 7 %

The total import duties and taxes imposed on this import are calculated as follows:

1. Import duty

= (CIF value * Rate of import duty)

= (1,000,000 * 0.8)

= 800,000 Baht

2. Excise tax = (CIF value + import duty) * {Rate of excise tax/1-(1.1 * Rate of excise tax)}

= (1,000,000+800,000) * {0.35/1-(1.1*0.35)}

= 1,800,000 * 0.5691057

= 1,024,390.20 Baht

3. Interior tax = Excise tax * Rate of interior tax

= 1,024,390.20 * 0.1

= 102,439.02 Baht

4. Base VAT = (CIF value+ Import duty+ Excise tax + Interior tax)

= (1,000,000 + 800,000 + 1,024,390.20 + 102,439.02)

= 2,926,829.20 Baht

5. VAT = Base VAT * VAT Rate

= 2,926,829.20 *0.07

= 204,878.04 Baht

Total taxes and duties = 1+2+3+5 = 2,131,707.20 Baht

OK, so Kawasaki bought in Thailand it is then...

On top of all that it can cost up to 120,000 Baht to get road registration for it. The 120 is what it recently cost me to get it done for a Honda Gold wing 1800. Not so long back it used to be cheap & easy to import proper motorcycles. Then the manufacturers of the Japanese bike here lobbied to get a stop on imports and like most goverments the Thai's jump to the local manufactures lobby. Thats when the clamps where put on. Now why the people selling the local scooters think that a Harley or 1L sports bike is any competition beats me. I would sooner walk than ride a Honda Dream, mind you sooner walk than riding a Harley, buts that only because I am a biker not a Poseur. ::

"...buts that only because I am a biker not a Poseur. ..."

Ah, most real bikers ride Harleys...sadly, a lot of yupie fucks buy them as well...the dealers here are full of 2 year old + bikes with less than 200 miles on them...bought, di9dn't like, sold, bought a Lexus...some just aren't commited to the cause...still shopping here...

OH,

I imported a HD from Singapore and I strongly suggest you consider buying one here. Second hand Harleys are not that much more than back in the US and there are some nice ones around. The thing that costs $$$ is all the bling which you can bring from the US.

If you bring it in on a temporary import permit, it's a pain in the arse to ride it out cause you have to take it out of the country or to a customs office in person, then take it across the border every six months.

Feel free to PM if you want some 1st hand experience.

• 2 weeks later...

OH - unfortunately the cheapest way would be to take it apart and send it piece by piece, then have it reassembled.

leave in storage for a couple years, reassemble , drive to bike week in phuket and sell...

I realize this defeats the purpose.

I like the 125cc two stokes anyway....

Archived